Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this thread's point is to list a food that is traditionally thought of as healthy, and see whether it's all it's cracked up to be. More than one person can respond to a food if it's debatable or if they have more information.<br><br>
I'll start...<br><b>Wheat germ<br><br>
Milled Flax Seed<br><br></b>Anyone in the know?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Wheat germ- cause it's yummy and adds fiber I believe.<br><br>
Milled flax seeds because of the Omega 3's (veggie source). It should be milled because the body can't process the whole seeds and thus you get little or no benefit.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
Wheat germ has 3g of fiber per 1/4 cup, 100mcg of Folacin, 268mg of Potassium, 91mg of Magnesium and I think some Vitamin E as well, all for about 108 calories. I also like the taste and it adds texture to my yogurt or oatmeal.<br><br>
Flax seeds are supposed to have Omega 3 fatty acids that are said to be good for you. I don't eat much fish, because I usually don't like it, especially the kind that have the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids. Ground flax seed (I don't know if that's the same as milled) is another way for me to get this nutrient. I buy the seeds whole and grind them as I use them.<br><br>
As for royal jelly, I wouldn't bother with it, but only because I don't know how they are certain of what they're giving to you. I have no idea how they get <i>that</i> from the bees or if it is something manufactured to have the same properties. If the latter, I would wonder if everything is all there, similar to vitamins not containing all the goodness of a whole food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts