Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">But my post is actually to tell you about a good deal I got from TIMEX.</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">I know that lots of folks are turning to wrist GPS distance and timing devices. But I still use a “licorice watch”…a men’s 100 lap TIMEX IRONMAN. I had the watch for at least a couple of years. I guess I probably paid $50 or $60 for in a department store. A few weeks ago it developed a leak and the moisture was causing the LCD and indiglo light to fade. I thought what the heck…I like the watch so I’ll check into having it repaired. Well, I had to send it back to a Timex repair center. No payment, just a note telling them the problem and where to return it. Their policy is that if they can’t repair your watch for less than half the suggested retail price, they’ll send you a new replacement for half the price. I receive a package back from them. It contained my old watch with a sticker on it saying “watch not repairable” and a new replacement watch with a request for payment of $34.98. Not a bad deal.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Dan</span></span>

·
Premium Member
15,134 Posts
Yay! More great customer service from sporting places!<br><br>
There's a small market for watches in the competative arena...you have a few mainstays as far as brands people really like. They need to keep up the good service.<br><br>
I know I'm one who tends to buy on "word of mouth." I just posted about great service from POLAR.<br><br>
I wasn't impressed w/customer service from Garmin when I used that product...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am on my 2nd Timex Ironman 50 lap watch and I just love it. My old one stopped working properly after I had the battery replaced, hence the purchase of the 2nd watch. If I send the old one back, they'll either fix it or charge me 1/2 price for a replacement?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use a Timex 50 lap Ironman to swim and as an everyday watch. It is great. However for running it cannot compare to my Garmin 205. Had it for 2 years with no problems and lots of great info during and after runs.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I use my timex in the pool....<br>
but just got a polar gadget for run and bike, cause it will do HR and pace.<br><br>
I like them both.<br>
BUT, most watches are made for right handed people, and all the frequently used buttons are on the wrong side for we lefties.<br>
I don't think this is something that's EVER gonna change,<br>
so, I'm learning to live with it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Garmin 201 on the road. Kicking it old school, yo!<br><br>
I even use it as my bike computer, but I have to do conversions of pace to mph in my head as I'm riding. That's a pain.<br><br>
In the pool, I wore a Nike Triax watch. Worked great til the batteries died.<br><br>
I've not had any cause to use customer service as of yet. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug,<br>
That’s the way it worked for me. The bill came with the replacement watch. Not sure how they’d come after me if I failed to send them the money. But, I’m honest. On their website it says that if replacement is necessary and your particular style of watch is discontinued, they’ll send you a comparable substitute. The only problem is…my original watch had an all black casing. I’m not a real flashy kind of person. The replacement watch they sent me has a yellow case. But, I’ll get over it.<br><br>
Dan

·
Registered
887 Posts
Timex Ironman 30 Lap (loyal Ironman wearer since 1987)<br><br>
Polar S150<br><br>
Garmin Forerunner 301. I love how you can export to Motion Based or export the .gpx files and view them in Google Earth....I'm geeky that way.<br><br><a href="http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3558574" target="_blank">http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3558574</a>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts