Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the vegetarians here are also hypoglycemic and don't seem to have issues with not eating meat, but my body <i>cannot</i> handle a completely vegetarian diet, which I have thought was the case for years, because I've tried it before. I felt great for the first couple weeks but then my sugar was all over the place and I wasn't eating a lot of bread or pasta or anything white (well, except for the occasional s'more craving I had to fulfill). The carb cravings were INSANE and I started to eat like a demon, which was totally not the purpose of doing this.<br><br>
I had fish a couple times and that seemed to even things off. I ate a steak for the first time in ages a couple nights ago and felt much better. I think it's a combination of a lot of things, iron deficiency also being one of them, which I had discussed with my doctor years ago when I tried this the last time. Oh well. I still eat veg meals most of the time, and I'm liking all the new healthy things I've found in my two new cookbooks, so I'm not going to stop, but I'm just not going to be able to go full time veg. And I'm <b>OK</b> with that, I really only wanted to incorporate more healthy stuff into my diet and get myself out of the fast food while I'm on the road mindset, which I think I have done. So it was definitely a worthy experiment and I'm still going to keep eating all the cool stuff I've discovered.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
Have you asked a registered dietitian? I don't know if that's a viable idea for you, but perhaps an RD could help you get enough of what you're missing without the meat if that is what you prefer to do. It may be an RD can pinpoint what is going wrong for you.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a good friend who's an RD and I have talked to her about it. It really isn't a super big deal, I didn't have good results trying this before and it isn't something I'm particularly obsessed with doing for any reason or other. I think I got out of the exercise what I went in for, an education on different healthy options, a way to get out of the drive-through mindset I was stuck in because of my job, and tons of tasty new recipes to play with. I won't give up the stuff I learned about, like shirataki and those yummy gardenburger riblets, but I am going to have to incorporate a little meat into my diet because that's just what my body works best on. No biggie. I'm still going to keep exploring veg options just for more variety, since I like to cook. And I still want to try Meri's vegan buffet!!

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
drgenie, sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Sounds like you've already decided on a plan of action, but if you ever want to give it a go again, I do have some advice that could help you (I have blood sugar issues/reactive hypoglycemia?).<br><br>
Eating a serving of beans with lunch and supper makes a big difference, as well as adding some sort of nut (walnuts, almonds) to your breakfast oatmeal.<br><br>
Anyways, best of luck in your quest for your optimal eating style!

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have, and I love most of them so I don't see a reason to let them go. I probably won't eat something meat-ish more than once or twice a week, but just the time I've been home and incorporated a little more I feel better. I'm just glad I could break the McEating habit!! YECH.....

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
it takes a while to master a vegetarian diet and eat properly. Glad you gave it a shot and learned from it!

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Add raw almonds to your oatmeal. Something happens to the nut when you cook it and turns it rancid. You can buy a big bag of raw almonds at Costco for a good price. And you can even soak them in water to germinate them, then add them to smoothies. Great way to get good fat into your diet, plus fiber and other nutrients. A good blender will blend them so well that you can't even tell the almonds are in there.

·
Premium Member
6,572 Posts
Hey I had the same issue when I went veg a while back. Felt good for a while then the bod just went whacko. I thought it had something to do with my thyroid condition. I had Graves disease, was hyperthyroid, got the thyroid gland nuked into nonexistence then was hypothyroid and now take a synthetic thyroid hormone every day. Once I started eating some meat again I was ok.<br><br>
The reason I went veg was because suddenly I just couldn't eat meat. No food with a face. And still to this day if I think about it I can't. I don't eat a LOT of meat and when I do I just don't think about it.<br><br>
Having said that I don't think I'm gonna be able to eat meat the rest of the day. ack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts