Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi Masters! Our volunteer for this weeks weekly seems to be MIA, so I'll do my best as a fill-in.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please get your totals in from last week when able and I'll tally them up tomorrow sometime.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>you can start your planning for this week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#b22222;">Do you have an A race on your agenda this fall? what is it and are doing anything different to train for this one compared to others you've had?.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>last week's summary of our accomplishments:</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Bill</strong>: 47.75 mi. You hit your mark last week. Glad the ankle didn't sideline you.  sometimes ignoring problems really do make them go away!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>BTY</strong>: 32.75 mi.  overachiever! (by .25) and looks like VRAA has helped you establish a new daily stretching routine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>FortunateOne</strong>: 40.5 mi. Nice solid week for you with a long run on the TM while being fanned and fed grapes by hand . . or something along those lines . .</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Labduck:</strong> 16 mi. You were smart to cut back on the running due to a damn! calf injury! Doesn't appear to have been long lasting though and hopefully H2C this wknd will be pain-free. And you'll win the whole thing!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Opie:</strong> 6.06 miles(did you do that .06 just for me??) and lots of biking while rehabbing the PF pain. hmm...maybe you'll ready for a duathlon one of these days?</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>McSolar:</strong> 50.5 mi. stomach virus appears to be gone and your consistency is back! yay!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Evanflein:</strong> 47.8 miles with a long 10K race imbedded in a long run. and so much blueberry picking, your hands are probably stained blue!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Patrick</strong>: 24.85 mi with a run and relaxing beach day with the grandkids!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Hally</strong>: 4 mi run, 4 mi hike, 33 mi bike and some weights. Always so well-rounded in your fitness execution.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>CNYrunner:</strong> not sure on totals, but I'm sure it's safe to assume is was LOTS! Now CNY is off line and enjoying the end of the summer days with the kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Hemerocallus:</strong> 27.2 mi with lots of core/abs/glutes/hams and stretches. Gumby has nothing on you!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Econo:</strong> 23.4 mi with 10 miles on a sore ankle??!! tsk tsk tsk. Be careful at H2C and don't do nuthin' stoopit!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>OrangeMat</strong>: 29.7 mi and 45 min stationary bike. 6 running sessions in one week! niiiice!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Tamster:</strong> 26.9 miles. Amazing how much more running you can get in when you don't work so much!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Dove:</strong> 28.2 miles with a midnight 51K (26.2 miles done) in search of E.T. at Area 51. Well done Dove!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Paul</strong>: 41.9 mi for Mr. Consistency!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>JJJ</strong>: 14.9 mi - he's back! Slow and easy does it!</p>

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
<p>Thanks, Tammy!</p>
<p>My first "A" race this year was the Gold Discovery Run. I was able to PR that sucker by 4 seconds even running without my Garmin! After that, all things are leading up to the Equinox 50k next month. I'd love to better last year's time of 5:09, but we'll see. My hill training has not been what it should be this year...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Another peak week. Too bad I'm going into it kinda tired.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday: 3.4 miles (31 minutes) on the elliptical, .25 mile walk and some core/back/abs stuff</p>
<p>Tuesday: 6.52 miles of hilly trails @ 8:28 avg pace, .4 mile walk</p>
<p>Wednesday: 13.6 miles up Ester Dome, the out-and-back and back down, 2:07:11; happy with that time on this monster run! .25 mile walk</p>
<p>Thursday: 5.45 miles, easy start, faster finish; .6 mile walk c/d</p>
<p>Friday: 3.1 miles, easy effort with some hills; .4 mile walk</p>
<p>Saturday: 1.1 mile warm-up, 5k race, 6 mile run afterwards for 10.2 for the day; .45 mile walk</p>
<p>Sunday: 24.5 miles run on the Equinox course, 9:10 avg; .25 mile walk after</p>
<div><strong>Totals:</strong>  63.5 miles run, 2.4 miles walking and 3.4 miles elliptical</div>

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>My once a year marathon in June was my A race for the year, but I've decided to do a local HM in mid November and I'd like to run well in it. I'm planning on incorporating some consistent speedwork each week at the track and see how that works. I'm one of those runners that just sort of picks a speed and runs almost all my runs at that speed. I don't really have a tempo workout, an interval workout, speed work, etc. So I'm going to see if doing speed work once a week will give me some better results.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Let's see what I can do this week:</p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">mon: 3.0 mi run</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">tue: nada</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">wed: zip</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">thu: zilch</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">fri: 3.2 mi run</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">sat: 4 mi run</span></p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">sun: 7 mi run</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="color:#2f4f4f;">miles run: 17.2</span></p>

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
<p>My tentative plan is to run my "A" race in January, the half in Austin, like I have the last 2 years.  As you all know, I would like to run a 1:50.  However, with trying to keep PF under control, that could change, as it would if I have a job change <span style="font-size:10px;">(<strong>Tammy</strong>, I just sent in the form to the Oregon bar to get a reciprocity admission kit</span>).(<span style="font-size:9px;"><span style="color:#b22222;">using my super mod powers to edit your post and say "wow Opie that's exciting!!") </span></span> Brooke will be leaving for New Mexico when she gets married this fall, so I will probably be self-coached again.  If I can't have you, I don't want nobody baby, if I can't have you...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Day..............Plan...............................................................................................................................................Actual</p>
<p>Monday...a.m.-lift; lunch yoga; evening bike intervals, 5 x 45 sec.-3 sets........done, done & done-47:37 on the bike for about 8 mi.</p>
<p>Tuesday...easy 3-mile treadmill run.....................................................................................................................done-3 mi.</p>
<p>Wednesday...a.m.-lift; evening pool running 1 hr............................................................................lifting done & 35 min. of pool running</p>
<p>Thursday...rest.................................................................................................................................................3 mi. easy run</p>
<p>Friday...lunch yoga; evening tempo bike ride................................................................................................both done-15 mi. bike</p>
<p>Saturday...volunteer at hometown 5k..................................................................................................................done & a little over a mile walking</p>
<p>Sunday...easy 3-mile treadmill run.....................................................................................................................done-3 mi.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total....................................................................................................................9 mi. running as part of 6:28:29 spent in activities, up 3 mi. from last week, about the same time total</p>

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
<p>Thanks for covering Tammy!</p>
<p>No racing for me, be glad to make the Snowflake 4 miler end of February.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday=2 miles</p>
<p>Tuesday=30 Min elliptical</p>
<p>Wednesday=30 min weights</p>
<p>Thursday=run 2</p>
<p>Friday=ride 36</p>
<p>Saturday=ride 44 weights 15 mins</p>

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
<p>barely cracked 50 last week, oops.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>no fall "a" race, although my arch rival will be doing a local 10 miler... so i won't be able to resist that race.  plenty of small races, 5 or so, and then my goal race, pf chang marathon in january.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>this week:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>planned / <strong>actual</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>m: 3 ez / <strong>3 ez</strong></p>
<p>t: 3 ez / <strong>5 ez gorgeous on ventura coastal bike path</strong></p>
<p>w: 5 ez / <strong>7.5 ez</strong></p>
<p>t: 12 w/ tempo / <strong>11 w/ 4x(6min up, 2min, 2:30 down, 1min, 2:30 down, 1min) 6:55 up / 6:15 down</strong></p>
<p>f: 10 ez / <strong>9.5 ez</strong></p>
<p>s: 10 w/ 5mi time trial / <strong>10.5 w/5 in 32:11 (6:24, 6:30, 6:21, 6:22, 6:34)</strong></p>
<p>s: 14 ez / <strong>13.5 hilly</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>target: 57 / <strong>total: 60</strong></p>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
<p>Tammy, thanks for being the pinch-threader. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Funny you should ask that question.  My two A races (??  A1 and A2?) are a 7.1 mile hilly road race in October, and a 15k in November which is down for 5k, flat for 5k, and up for 5k.  So, what should I be doing?  Hills.  What am I doing?  Not hills.  But I'm doing core and stretching like never before, and that's gotta help, and there's still time for me to get some hill training in, in September.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday...............7 including Intervals; stretch, strength.............<strong>6-3/8</strong> miles per plan.</p>
<p>Tuesday..............4 Recovery, core, stretch...............................<strong>5-7/8</strong> miles per plan.</p>
<p>Wednesday.........6 including 4 miles easy; stretch, strength.......<strong>6</strong> miles fartlek, stretch, strength, core.</p>
<p>Thursday............5 including 3 miles easy; core, stretch.............<strong>5</strong> including 3 @ 5k pace + 1:00, stretch</p>
<p>Friday.................Rest, stretch..................................................<strong>0</strong> per plan</p>
<p>Saturday.............9 including 5k race.........................................<strong>7.8</strong> miles including 21:16 5k., stretch</p>
<p>Sunday...............3 miles recovery, stretch.................................<strong>4.2</strong> miles recovery, stretch, core.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total Plan...........34 miles, 6 days stretch, 2 days core, 2 days strength, 1 race</p>
<p>Execution...........<strong>35.25</strong> miles, 7 days stretch, 3 days core, 2 days strength, 1 race. </p>

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
<p>Thanks Tammy! No races planned for me, and I wouldn't even know how to go about picking them, let alone planning for them. It's all I can do to just get out and run.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I lose two days this week with driving down to Maryland to take DS to college, so I doubt I'll get back to a 40-mile week again like I did the week before. That seems to be the elusive number for me, so I'll continue to practice the 3 P's of running: persistence, patience and perspective.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mon.... 3.5 miles</p>
<p>Tue..... 8.25 miles</p>
<p>Wed.... drive to MD</p>
<p>Thur..... move DS into college, drive home</p>
<p>Fri....... 10.5 miles</p>
<p>Sat...... 3.75 miles, plus another 3 miles</p>
<p>Sun..... 11.5</p>
<p> </p>
<p>totals: 40.5 miles, 1 less child at home</p>

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
<p>Thanks Tammy for filling in!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My "A" race is a 5K next February, but I can only make that work if I make it through the fall without getting injured.  So I hope by not having a target race this fall will keep me off the DL.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M - 5 easy...<strong>Actual:</strong> 6 trail miles at 8:11/mi</p>
<p>Tu - 4 easy...<strong>Actual</strong>: 4 mile progression run from 8:15/mi to 6:50/mi + 1 mile c/d at 8:00/mi.  5 miles total.</p>
<p>W - off...ate pasta and drank wine</p>
<p>Th - off...ate more pasta and drank more wine</p>
<p>F - an afternoon 4.5 miler at 6:50/mi...<strong>Actual</strong>: 0.5 mile w/u at 7:28/mi followed by 4.5 miles at 6:30/mi.  Oops!</p>
<p>Sa (am) - a 5.75 miler w/ a 5 mile hill.  About 8:00/mi...<strong>Actual:</strong> 5.75 miles at 3:00 am in dust so thick my headlamp didn't always reach the ground. 8:02/mi.  Followed by a 6:30 am timing clipboard run of 0.75 miles due to a very long van backup into the van exchange.  8:56/mi.</p>
<p>Sa (pm) - a 4.1 mile run over undulating hills. Around 7:00/mi...<strong>Actual</strong>: 4.15 miles at 6:48/mi (yes!) at 12:15 pm.  Followed by a 3.5 mile cool down run on the next leg with Dove at 9:08/mi.  Followed by another timing clipboard run of 1.5 miles into the finish at Seaside.  9:10/mi</p>
<p>Su - napping</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Planned: About 25 miles.<strong>  Actual: 31.65 miles</strong></p>

·
Registered
657 Posts
<p>Hi Tammy, thanks for filling in this week.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I haven't raced since Phila Marathon '08 and am currently training for this years Phila Marathon in Nov so since I only have one race on the horizon I guess it is my "a" race.</p>
<p>ETA. I just signed up for the Phila Distance Run, Sept 19 as a prep for the marathon, so I guess that is my "b" race.</p>
<p>                        Plan                   ACTUAL</p>
<p>M                        3                        3.35</p>
<p>T                         R                        R</p>
<p>W                       5                        3.85</p>
<p>T                        4                        4.25</p>
<p>F                        XT or 3                 XT</p>
<p>S                       12                      13.51</p>
<p>S                       30' XT</p>
<p> </p>
<p>TOT                  24 - 27           <strong>      24.96</strong></p>

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
<p>Thanks for picking this up, Tamster!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You raise a good question, since I still haven't figured this out.  I've been building up to my next 25K on Oct 2, which is one of the premier, "must do" trail races in the province.  But the last of the 5 Peaks trail race series is on the following weekend (13.9K) and I stand to place at least second in the series standings if I don't totally bonk.  Then, if there's anything left of me, I'd really like to do another 25K (Vulture Bait) the following weekend, just because it's a great venue and really cool shirt to get.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What am I doing differently....hmmmmmm.... trying not to get injured??</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This week is a small cut-back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M...........  <strong>40 min core/abs/stretch</strong></p>
<p>T............  <strong>5</strong></p>
<p>W........... <strong>4.3</strong></p>
<p>T............  <strong>XT+core</strong></p>
<p>F............ <strong>3.3</strong></p>
<p>S............ <strong>10.4</strong></p>
<p>S............ <strong>2.5</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total for the week:  <strong>25.5 miles</strong></p>

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
<p>My "A" race is approaching quickly (October,Javelina Jundred) and I'm getting nervous. Did I do enough? Have I logged enough miles? Do enough back to back long runs? Run enough at night? Will my feet hold up? My tummy? I'm I mentally strong enough? I've taken each race element and worked on it through various marathons, 50ks, and fixed time events. If something doesn't work, I'll tweak it and try another approach. I think I have a plan for most things, but I have to work on the mental part.<br><br>
Gentle week ahead as I prepare for another hard mental effort: Hood to Coast on Friday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Monday: lots of walking.... I'm giving myself 5 miles</p>
<p>Tuesday: travel and rest</p>
<p>Wednesday: weights and 5 mile run</p>
<p>Thursday: rest</p>
<p>Friday: 7 miles (HTC)</p>
<p>Saturday: 13 miles (HTC)</p>
<p>Sunday rest</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Total: 1 weight session, 5 miles walking 25 miles running</strong></p>

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
<p>Thanks, Tamster!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Go Dove!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a relay next month which I will run easy, of necessity.  After that, who knows... I have nothing on the calendar.  I'd like to do a half-marathon if I can get my mileage up.  If not, I'll do some 5ks & 10ks just for fun.  My focus is on staying healthy.  I'd like to get to where I'm putting in months and years of solid training without major setbacks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M - 45' easy, 20' core</p>
<p>T - 35' easy, 10' lower body</p>
<p>W - 68' cycling</p>
<p>T - 45' easy + 15' core</p>
<p>F - 67' cycling</p>
<p>S - 75' easy + 106' cycling</p>
<p>S - 0</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Plan - 24-32 easy miles + XT</p>
<p>Actual - 22 mi running + 64 mi cycling + 45' strength</p>

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
<p>My only Fall race (so far) is TCM.  I'm not sure I'd call it an "A" race, but it's all I have so I guess that'll have to suffice.  Not much has changed but I am running every day now.  Usually I'd take 1 or 2 rest days a week previously.  The jury is still out on this one.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Time to start picking up the Long Run mileage.  I've been running everyday, but the LR's have been tough up till now.  There's a wide range of "planned" miles this week - all depending on how the left ankle/achilles feels about things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bill<br><br>
 </p>
<table border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" style="width:90%;"><tbody><tr><td><strong>Day</strong></td>
<td><strong>Planned</strong></td>
<td><strong>Actual</strong></td>
<td><strong>Comment</strong></td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Mon</strong></td>
<td>8 miles</td>
<td>8 miles</td>
<td>Good run at 9:13 pace</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Tues</strong></td>
<td>4 to 6 miles</td>
<td>4.5 miles</td>
<td>Recovery pace of 9:53</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Wed</strong></td>
<td>10 to 13 miles</td>
<td>0 miles</td>
<td>First rest day in nearly 2 months.  Need to get this achilles issue healed up</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Thur</strong></td>
<td>4 to 6 miles</td>
<td>0 miles</td>
<td>The Sky is falling!  Two days off in a row.</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Fri</strong></td>
<td>6 to 8 miles</td>
<td>6 miles</td>
<td>Easy 9:16 pace with a couple of striders.  Leg felt okay.</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Sat</strong></td>
<td>16 to 19 miles</td>
<td>20 miles easy</td>
<td>Got to 15; felt good, so I finsihed off a 20 miler.  Slow at 9:34 pace though.</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Sun</strong></td>
<td>3 to 5 miles</td>
<td>3 miles slow </td>
<td>Recovery pace of 10:20 min/mile</td>
</tr><tr><td><strong>Total</strong></td>
<td>51 to 65 miles</td>
<td><strong>41.5 miles</strong></td>
<td>I got the 20 miler done.  That's good.</td>
</tr></tbody></table><p> </p>
<p>Bill</p>

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
<p>Thanks Tammy,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do not have an A-race for the fall really. I'm considering a road marathon, maybe Richmond, Va or a 50k -probably the New River just to stay in the thick of things. I have no training/PR time goals for such.</p>
<p>I would like to run the Mountain Masters Trail Run and the Haunted Half again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M-  25 min core work, mile walk</p>
<p>T - 25 min core work, mile walk</p>
<p>W -20 min core work, mile walk, 4.78 miles in the woods</p>
<p>T - 20 min core work, mile walk, 5 miles</p>
<p>F -20 min core work, mile walk</p>
<p>S -20 min core work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 7.56 miles</p>
<p>S -25 min core work, mile walk, 5.05 miles</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2:15 of core work and 22.39 running</p>
<p>jjj</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>jjj</p>

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
<p>Well, yes!  And no!  I've pretty much decided to drop down to the half marathon at Victoria, leaving me with time on my hands to do a full-on marathon assault sometime...I hope in November or December.  The Ukranians are the difference this time -- they take this verrrry seriously and will be happy when I tell them I'm going to delay the marathon.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mon:  12.4 miles flat flat flat, along Tacoma's waterfront (back & forth a couple of times).</p>
<p>Tue:  10 MOH tourist run in Tacoma, admiring pretty houses. 2 hours walking + core</p>
<p>Wed: 2 hours hiking, Mt. Rainier</p>
<p>Thu:  2 miles EZ</p>
<p>Fri: 5.71 miles <em><strong>hard!</strong></em></p>
<p>Sat:  5.89 miles and 4.0 miles <strong><em>hard!</em></strong></p>
<p>Sun:  0 -- rested</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total:  <strong>40.0</strong>, yayyyyy</p>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
<p>I'm with Boston Byll:  "My only Fall race (so far) is TCM.  I'm not sure I'd call it an "A" race, but it's all I have ..."  My goal is to avoid embarassing myself in front of Byll, Ribs, Amy, etc. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Cutting back this week:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>M: <strong>3.5 M</strong></p>
<p>T: volleyball</p>
<p>W: <strong>5 M</strong> on TM with 2.5 M @ tempo pace (7:30 m/M, 0.5% incline)</p>
<p>T: volleyball</p>
<p>F: <strong>3.5 M</strong></p>
<p>S: <strong>6 M</strong></p>
<p>S: <strong>11.5 M</strong></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Total:<strong>  29.5 M</strong></p>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.