Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to rouse myself out of bed for the bagelry 50 miler. Had a random join us about 30 through (Navy guy on the sub base), as well as a woman who hasn't ridden much with us this season - so mixing it up a bit. Through the back roads of York/Kittery/Berwick Maine - so pleasant scenery. Leaves are starting to turn on some trees (our house sounds like it's being bombarded by acorns as they hit the steel roof).

Played a bit of captain sofa, and started doing the lawn until the mower crapped out - so giving it a bit of time to think at the moment. It's definitely HH out there.

DD just wrapped up her last long run 18 miles (in DC) - so taper and a marathon in a few weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement, Yo. Still haven't signed up - but we'll see! It's been a strange year. Maybe it's just the COVID isolation ... hard to get in a routine when your routine mostly involves not going anywhere!

Geo.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Another week whisked by
Geo-have you finished your wood. Due to random things we ended up with 13 wood cutters cords and I think I have 2 cords left to stack.
Its turned serious fall here wiht freezing nights and the aspens turning yellow and red. Warm days until now, we have rain and are supposed to get snow tomorrow.
I have a visitor and did a 10 mile and 5 mile hike wood endless wood, 3x/week strength and balance training and 2 days in the EP. I don't quite have a plan having missed the gravel ride and now the trip to San Diego. I am planning a backpack wiht various folks next weekend and then its time to get ready for ski season while getting the house & landscape stuff settled for winter.

The cattle are drifting out of the high country and the wolves are aggressively following them, I've heard several baby wolves I'd guess our pack is now close to 10.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Geo - good to hear you had a good ride with beautiful scenery, with some newcomers to chat with - always fun to know new people! Which marathon is DD doing? I always wanted to do one in DC which takes you to many of the statues, memorials and such. Great distraction for sure.

SB - sounds like you have been busy as usual. Wow ski season is back before you know it eh? And wolves…..

A beautiful day for a memorial ride for Amber who left us too soon last year. The ride and picnic were held at the trail for which she spent many hours riding and helping maintaining. Many familiar faces and her parents were there. So a friend and I met up nearby and rode into the park/trail. With her parents’ donation, the Mtb association is going to build an changing room/shed to store the trail maintaining tools with Amber Arch. A good fiend of hers who is an architect had a blue print approved by city and will be ready to go soon. What a beautiful tribute. On our way back another friend joined us and hit a cider mills/brewery. Enjoyed fun conversations. And I barely made 3 mile ride back home. Total 35miles on my Stumpy.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
hi gang! Day off for me, with the exception of driving all over! hit up a local harvest fair with DD and my BF...then went to pick up halloween yard decoration that we had made on Labor day weekend, then DD texts me and tells me she left her lanyard in my BF's car - call her and sure enough it is in there. She turns around to meet me 1/2 way (she lives an hour from my house) and I grab DD to meet her and then get DD on the train into Boston. Grab dinner on the way home for me and DH. oof. So much for getting some stuff done around the house today.

I DID buy a new waterski which arrived on Friday - hoping to try it out tomorrow. :)

Geo - which marathon is your daughter doing? Is it the Marine Corp?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
13 cords? Ouch! We did just about finish stacking the wood - but it's only two cords (plus a bit left over from last season to stack in the basement). I can't imagine doing 13! I take it that wood is your primary heat source through the winter then? It's barely turning fall here in New England. Lots of chipmunk and squirrel activity gathering the boom of acorns that seem to be falling, and plenty of deer around as well. DW saw the bear again today - crossing our back yard into the woods - so I guess it must be holing up somewhere near here.

DD is doing the Baltimore marathon over Columbus day/Indigenous Peoples' day weekend. Nice swag and cheaper than the Marine Corps (and probably a bit more hilly as well)! I think they are fairly close to each other date-wise.

That does sound like a lovely tribute to your friend, Yo - Glad the town could approve it.

Good luck with the new water skis, Zoj. End of season sales?

Managed to get out today for a 7 mile run. Didn't much feel like it - but glad I forced myself. Pace was okay (8:25 or so), and body wasn't too cranky (yet).

Geo.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Zoj - sounds like a bit hectic day with fun!
Geo - nice run. Yes I’m glad you went for running!

A solo trip to Grand Rapids for the ArtPrize. Great exhibits of all kinds of arts. Going by myself is actually good as I can go where I want to go at my own pace. This year I decided to ride my bike around and it worked out well. Ended up riding 13 miles. Lots of stop and go of course. Two of a few that really talked to me:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts