Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow Geo - that IS news!! Exciting for her - how do you and your wife feel about that?

With my DD going to Scotland for grad school, I have a feeling she'd like to do something like that as well. I will be super sad if that is the case.

Speaking of DD, she is scheduled to come home from Mississippi next Wednesday, but she called today to say that her uncle (the one she is staying with) tested positive for COVID this am (second time). So she is sequestered in her room on the second floor staying as far away from him as possible. Sigh.

30 min on the trainer - rainy crappy out today.

Yo - what happened? What did I miss that your shoulder is not functional???

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Weird - no rain up here on the NH coast ... Workouts didn't happen today, and judging by how I felt on the lunchtime walk with E (talking Jan 6 hearings), will not bother tomorrow either - as the weekend is a travel wash. Felt a bit flushed on the walk - even a bit of an effort - so think I'm better holding off until past the weekend to return to action.

Happy for T2- and like you, expect to be super sad at times. With Covid not being so much of a thing anymore, those weeks-long visits were coming to an end anyway - and I'd assumed going forward it would be more of a couple of yearly visits plus holidays sort of thing. I guess it doesn't seem like it should be much different than her staying in DC. But yeah - obviously it will be. I'm glad she's trying the adventure now - and glad that she's taking advantage of her fractional British-ness to do it (as long as having the chance to familiarize herself better with the remaining rellies on that branch of the tree).

I guess as you get older, it's easier to forget the adventurous younger you. After college my GF and I intended to be in Japan teaching for a long stretch (only made it six or seven weeks, so didn't quite meet that goal!). Before me, my dad certainly had no problem with travel (born in India, became missionary for 8 years and had a stint in the RAF in the Maldives prior to metting my mother), and my mother got the hell out of Wisconsin and Nebraska to become a nurse in England ...So, I guess adventure runs in the family tree.

On the other hand, my kids have basically grown up in our town - and we've been 20+ years in our house - so it's definitely not what DD experienced as a child. So - she'll be having the adventures as an adult that my wife and I never did (moving far away to college, living in a big city, now living abroad).

I think part of the extended stay is that her BF hopes to get positioned over there for a minimum of a year, and he'd be heading over a few months after she got there ... . I'm just not sure what she's going to do career-wise, but plenty of time to consider that. She also doesn't want to be around after the mid-terms, so moving abroad definitely helps in that regard!

geo

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Zoj - sorry to hear about the situation your DD is in.... hope for the best.

Geo - wow, quite adventurous blood in your family! So DD left the State Dept. already? What is she studying at a grad school? Yeah, there will be a small window (typically speaking) to be adventurous before settling down and staying in the same town for 20+years (like somebody :) )

I guess I am the only one who kinda flew away from the nest. My DD definitely got my blood. She is in Hawaii now and will start taking a few summer grad school classes on-line at U of Chicago. Eventually she wants to get a master degree, at using somebody else's dime lol. Talking about quitting her job quite frequently and wanting to live/work in Japan.

My shoulder.... it's just same old discomfort has returned. Doing exercises but not as consistent as they should be... 30min on a bike during lunch to hit a post office and library. Then 1hr on J-man meandering around. I think I got a cold, sore throat, coughing, and feeling warm. Ugh. Also, last Sunday, when I woke up in the morning, I noticed a bump on my rear end and pulled off a tick. The only place I could think of getting it is.... when I went bathroom in the middle of the woods...(twice... or 3x ?). I was able to pull it off completely (so within 24hrs), talked to a on-line nurse who said just watch out for the next 3~30days for some symptoms. So, I didn't go to see a Doc for antibiotics. It looked like a deer tick.

Spending lots of time reading travel blogs/reviews about the Teton Crest Trail we are heading to in Aug. Because of the fact we may not be able to get the permits we want, I have to come up with a complete different plan B as well, which is the Cirque of the Towers, in SB's neck of the woods. Since planning is MY thing (DH's inputs only if/when I ask), pressure is high!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts