Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo - I would def ask for an MRI - doesn't sound like the Doc got to the root of the problem, sorry to say. Hope the exercises start to help.

Early am run/walk with the pup today. Had planned on going to the gym at lunch, but still struggling with motivation and fatigue from all this heat. Nicer today, but still humid. Did errands instead.

Geo - nice 30 miles...and that soup sounds great!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
So on Saturday afternoon my two recent backpack friends begged to go out for 3 days on Sunday having cancelled our proposed 5 day trip into Palmer lakes,they wanted to take an older trail out of Burnt Lake to Coyote lake then head up to North Fork Lake (this for Yo's benefit as its not far from where she would like to go). After the crazy rain/hail/thunder days it was a damp but warm morning. We couldnt' drive all the way to the trailhead because the road was deep mud so we added more distance to our trip. After @ 3 miles of steady climbing ( @ 1,000 feet) in open hot sun, we cut over to find the trail. We first stopped in a meadow to eat some snacks and an odd thing happened my knit capris (the only pants i had that would stay up) suddenly felt burning hot and itchy when I pulled up a section my skin was bright red rashy/hikes I finally pulled them off to find the rash rapidly spreading. I rinsed with some water, downed some antihistamines and ended up borrowing pants and a shirt (since everything was then itching). We then continued to search for our trail the north Fork trial but found deeper and deeper deadfall until we seemed to be trapped by the terrain in deadfall over our heads, we eventually beat our way back ending up on the original trial near where we had turned off but nearly 2 hours later. We then encountered 3 people (the only people we had seen) who were also looking for the trial, we told them its condition and they moved on.
We then huddled up to consider what to do its now blazing hot and we had been out 4 hours it would be another 8 miles to take a known trail to our destination or we could descend @ 800 feet and re ascend and arrive at blueberry lake in 2.5 miles I jumped on that hoping to get my itchy legs into a lake. It was near the bottom that we met the horse riders who were older locals happy to see hikers out on "their" trail. Otherwise as you might imagine and then I jumped in blueberry lake which seems to be fed by warmsprings so was not as refreshing as you might hope but good enough. We realized this lake is only 2.5 miles from Boulder Lake trailhead and there were 2 parties that came through one on horse one on foot as day trippers. We still had a great campsite and celebrated. After discussing how miserable the return would be we decided instead to take a loop past Lovatt lake to Horseshoe lake. This went pretty well and I had a refreshing swim in Lovatt lake and we again ran into 2 parties, The first were some NOLS instructors taking 2 students out who told us a "large group" was left camping at Horseshoe (our destination) so we again modified our plans (there are not a lot of camp spots by the lake). Soon after we encountered 3 horse riders who were looking for the north Fremont trail we had to disappoint them and send them the long way out. We ended the night at some random spot in the forest without too many dead trees finishing out another @ 10 mile only 1500 ft day. The following morning we woke up very early and rushed out way out another 8 miles to arrive in time for a swim in Fremont Lake before a birthday lunch in Pinedale. I alter attended a SAR team meeting where i was reminded that in one fo the final medical training exercises I was assigned "itch skin rash" (they had put labels on our foreheads and we had to ask questions to determine or dx)... I guess it was a prediction! We were also warned that fall has arrived in the mountains (yes we saw the frost on the last mornings but the days were HOT) and that everyone should repack their ready bags with enough warm clothes. I now must solve my itchy skin rash where did it come from how do I avoid it? Can i find some woven (vs knit) pants that fit??

My new boots were ok but not great so I will continue the hunt there as well. Everything else is workign well and I should be in Jackson at the end of the week to pick up my new car...so I can go to the shops to try on pants! My car is a week early. I had also planned a second "make up" trip for next weekend but with another round of severe weather in the forecast and the 3 day trip under our belts we're putting it off til later in the month when we hope the weather will settle into a better cycle. Instead of the normal afternoon severe thunder we are getting 48 continuous hours of it then warm but they tell us its all about to shift I hope it does so quickly for Yo!

Also to Yo- I and one of the other hikers have twisted unbalanced (or not straight) spines. We do a lot of careful placement of water bottles to balance out the issues (higher right shoulder for me) as well as being sure to keep the packs as light as we can I do place more weight on the rt than the left. Maybe fool around with moving weight away from your bad shoulder and making sure you have your shoulders in the most relaxed position you can manage? Backpacks are set up for symmetrical people but none of us are symmetrical so we have to force them to comply with our shapes.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
and one more thought for Yo..when in Jackson stop at Teton mountaineering and see if they have any ideas to help your shoulder there are some pretty experienced people sprinkled through that staff. There is also an REI but they are new and have less experience. Maybe they can spot a fit issue with your backpack. I know the shoulder is longer term but maybe there's something that can help for the trip.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Hey - great advice RE the pack SBee... good to have experienced hikers on here (I'm not one of them). Sounds like a great mis-adventure ... hopefully caught some spectacular sites and wildlife. Strainge about the rash for sure ... especially if it's a new phenomenon (and you're not particularly prone to them). I'm wondering with global warming whether areas are getting totally new flora than used to be there. I certainly find my allergies are picking up with age (never really considered myself allergic to stuff - but I've had a few long stretches of congestion this summer).

Another bike day for me ... about 36 miles R/T to work. Glad that the temperature dropped 20 degrees, but it was still somewhat humid ... Decent speed (hi 17's/low 18's both ways).

geo

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Thank you, thank you SB! For taking the time to give me all the advice! Def visiting the Teton mteneering! As for my shoulder, I’m optimistic.. it is really the rotator cuff area and carrying a pack doesn’t involve the area, just when trying to put it on my back. Yeah the weather appears to be wacky. Heavy thunderstorms and lightenings would be a concern.
Your trip sounds a real adventure. Plan on reading your details while following my map of the Wind area!

Crazily demanding work continues… but I decided to get out to ride once I got certain things done. 2hrs of glorious dusty backroad!! Then worked more….

1 - 5 of 5 Posts