Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one more round of backpacking in the books. The leaves were turning brown as we watched on the 2&3rd. After that a scramble of things to get done as winter closed in. I managed to plant my garlic as the flakes fell. So I fell off the reporting wagon again!
I have been going through my training program now moving onto dynamic moves wiht kettle bells and getting good and sore in the right way. I've been in the EP 1x and should increase now that gardening season and hiking are both at an end!

I'm jealous of the New England red maple fall although our aspens did a good job wiht orange and red this year and were at peak for a few weeks, usually a storm rips them down as soon as they turn. still a nice long road ride sounds so good. Maybe next year I cna plan a New England leaf peep tour?

Yo your crazy trip reminds me of things I used to do and Zo I hope the knee keeps improving!

Tonight the registration for the annual local winter ultra opens, the race is in March but they sold out last year so decided to move registration back. Last year I signed up for hte marathon then dropped down to the 1/2. I remember thinking I was spending way too much time training when I'd rather be in the back country I then had too much foot trouble to do the full. So I should sign up for the 1/2 again..right? I have back country skis so I'm not ever going to be fast and I'm not fast anyway. My brain wants to do the full but in reality that course is only fun in good weather/snow (it has a long exposed ridge run and steep drop at the end), I keep telling myself I can just do the full as a solo event on a good weather moment..

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
hi gang!
back in the pool today - another warm one, but 1200 yards done. The TriDot plan called for almost 1800 - uh, I did that when I was training for my HIM...NOT a sprint. So I do the warm up, most if not all of the main set, and then bag the cool down. Esp. since I just got back in the pool two weeks ago after 1.5 year hiatus. yeesh.

SB - oof, so not ready for snow, tho we have been looking at Sun Valley for a possible trip in March. We've got some fall colors now, but super delayed due to the warm fall and all the rain we had this past summer. I too would sign up for the 1/2, as you said the full is only good with good conditions, so...

Geo - congrats to DD!

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Hey SB!!! The fall season is just so short in your area. 1/2 sounds a very reasonable plan for training and maintaining to keep it fun, for sure. What altitude do you live on? I really need to start looking into our summer/fall-ish trip out there. Though it may be crowded, I am interested in doing the cirque de tower, just because it's popular (for reasons right?). With enough time for high altitude acclimatization, a week is likely needed.

Zoj - how is your knee? I would imagine frequency rather than a long workout would be better for your sprint swim training.

Geo - good to hear she is happy with the way the race went! That's because she trained well :)

3000-ish yd in a lake with Mark. Still pretty decent warmth, I wore sleeveless wetsuit with no other special stuff while he was with full wetsuit with gloves AND booties AND thick neoprene cap, yeah he prob has half of my fat insulation. I can easily imagine to swim another week or even two!!! I dislike a full wetsuit so I am not sure if I would continue to swim once cold enough to require a full wetsuit. He just came back from S. Dakota trip and he said the colors were awesome.
I can't believe it is almost halfway done in Oct..... Our Halloween Ride & Chill Cookoff is this weekend.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Did you get walloped with that first big storm, SB? DD is out to Denver in a few days ... can't imagine there will be much outdoor activity for her. I think she originally had planned to visit Rocky Mntn National Park, but looks like Trail Ridge Road - or whatever the main road is in - will be closed.

I'm working on a 10 year pool hiatus Zoj :) ... although I suspect that given overall achiness, swimming is about to re-enter the workout regimen in a year or two...

Do you get to ride in a costume, Yo? :)

Myself - went for a pretty brisk 6 mile run (surprised myself). Exercise machines tomorrow! Need to be more regular about those, seeing as cycling is basically out except for weekend rides. Will probably pick up Zwift again in November...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo- I signed up for the half I will make it a goal to ski the full on a powder day as training! I live at @ 8,000 ft and the cirque is at @ 12 Altitude complications cause the most common rescue issues up there so be sure to bake in a lot of acclimation days (welcome to stay here for a while) and think about asking your doctor for altitude meds (either preventative like diamox or emergency like dex but be sure you research them they are powerful with side effects). The cirque is so popular for good reason and although everyone complains about how crowded it is, its nothing like the White mtns in summer, just be flexible about camping spots to avoid the crowds.

Go-We are getting daily doses of snow and a heavy downfall while I was driving back from the SAR monthly meeting. Its not deep enough for real problems except 1 which is that my new footbeds dont' work with my old pull on winter boots so I have to decide if I'll wear winter hiking boots all the time or else figure out another solution.
This time of year the NPs generally dont' have snowplow drivers, why pay the cost when a final storm is on the horizon so road closures are common and there were a lot right ahead of the storm this time. They will wait til spring to open the roads. Around here people might go to those closed roads with a fat tire bike or warm boots to see the sights without cars. In my actual area the road just slowly converts from car to snow machine and the individual needs to consider conditions at this time of year, occasionally someone's vehicle gets to spend the winter on the pass roads.

Well time to check in with my trainer we are working hard on my middle hamstrings in a context of overall movement and posture. I found that to be the weak link with hiking over boulder fields and long ski cruises so here's hoping I start out strong once some more snow is laid on! Oh and ht eoriginal reason for starting this-my foot although not 100% it is painfree hiking unless i step on a rock in the exact wrong spot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts