Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody:<br><br>
I currently run on Mizuno Wave Riders and race & do speedwork in Brooks T4s. I'm 32 y/o male and a pretty light (~145) and efficient, neutral runner. I don't seem to need too much from my shoes. I regularly get 600+ miles out of my Wave Riders and mostly replace them at that point because they are falling apart.<br><br>
When I started wearing the T4s this year I was expecting that my legs would be really sore after races and workouts since they have basically no cushioning. That was not the case. Other than an adjustment period of sore calves (which I gather from reading is due to the fact that flats have little heel and allow a greater range of motion) I've been extremely comfortable in the T4s. I now do at least one run a week in the T4s.<br><br>
Ironically, and the point of this post, I get more tweaks running in my Wave Riders that I do in the Brooks. I'm talking about an occasional sore knee (either one) and sore achilles. That said, I do more miles in the WR.<br><br>
I've been inspired by some of the people I know here (hey <b>Moon</b> hey <b>Lolly</b>!) who are barefooting it pain-free, and while I'm not ready to go that far, I'm thinking about mixing in a 'performance trainer' or heavier flat for more of my runs.<br><br>
Does anyone have any experience moving down in shoes like this and want to offer advice, or recommend shoes? Or tell me I'm an idiot?<br><br>
I'm thinking about trying a pair of Mizuno Wave Precisions (9.8 oz), or maybe an Asics DS Trainer (also 9.8 oz). The knacker with those of course is no one carries them retail around here, so I'll have to order on the net and wing it.<br><br>
So, in summary, I'm thinking that I'm running in more shoe than I need and I think it might benefit me to train in a lighter more netural shoe than the Wave Riders (as comfortable as they are). I'm thinking I'll mix them in for a run a week and if there are no ill effects, slowly start phasing out the heavier trainers.<br><br>
Agree / disagree?

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Hey <b>PTom</b> - count me in the same boat as you.<br><br>
I'm not quite fully ready to go exclusively flats yet myself (I love my Brooks T5s for the shorter runs up to 6 miles - I really haven't dared to go longer. I pondered running my HM last Sunday in my T5's, but went the safe route and ran in my Wave Rider 9s.)<br><br>
I've made the older pair of Riders work with my new footstrike, but it's not ideal, plus I'll need to replace them in a month or two also. Something with a little less heel would be perfect.<br><br>
I was thinking of going to a shoe store with a ton of selection to see where I should venture next, but if anyone has some shoe ideas, I think both of us would love to hear them.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Wave riders, wave precisons, Asics speedstar, and t3 racer (onex a year).<br><br>
I went minimalist years ago.<br><br>
moon- have you tried speedstar, it's doesn't have that built-up arch like the mizunos.......either do brooks burn....but the burn doesn't have the curved arch and resembles almost a stability shoe.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I have used performance trainers ever since the end of XC last year. I had the Cumulus 7's and liked how they were lighter so I kept one-upping myself. Next I went to Speedstars (the sexy yellow ones) but those crapped out on me at like 350 miles. Next I got the Haywards...a bit heavier but has cushion as well...I started having minor leg problems when running in those at like 250. Now I have went to the Asics Stratus which is Asics version of the Haywards pretty much...it has a nice flexy bottom and it decently cushioned at right around 11 oz. They may be the heaviest shoes I've had in a while but my feet are loving them.<br><br>
I'd reccomend trying something off of Roadrunner PTom, that way you have the 60-day guarantee if it doesn't work out...I think they have a quite improved flats section as of late.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Oh and as for the shortness of life for my shoes...I'm guessing a contributing factor is my wear of them since I don't have a rotation, I can only afford one pair at a time. If these Stratuses keep holding out though I'll most likely plop down another pair to throw in, plus I am looking at some Nike Marathoners for speedwork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts