Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stress fracture on my left foot and am trying to keep my training "up" as much as I could. The doc didn't rule MCM out yet, so I still have hope.<br>
When I water run, I feel I am working my legs more.<br>
When I swim, I feel I work my cardio more.<br>
So, I've been usually water running for 1 hour and swimming for 20-30 min daily.<br>
I still feel like I am not getting enough out of it.<br>
What's the best approach? Should I do swimming just with a miniboard and no arm work?

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
IEatHills, sorry you are injured. I missed that! I hope your recovery is smooth and swift as can be.<br><br>
Do you mind if I ask the mod to move this thread to The Training Station? You might get more cross-training info from some swmmers in there.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
I'm not a swimming expert by any means, but like you did water running and swimming when I was injured this spring. For me, water running was basically useless. I got the form, and would do hard intervals moving as fast as I could, but no matter what it didn't do it for me heart-rate wise. I'd get out of the pool feeling like I did nothing except get wet.<br><br>
I switched to one hour lap swimming sessions alternating longer moderate pace sets, short sprint sets, kicking only with a kickboard, arms only with a small floatation device between my legs, etc. That was a better workout, but still nowhere near the running I'd been used to. Probably the only thing that would have worked better was if there was a swim coach I could do hard workouts with, but there isn't where I am, as I'm not very experienced with fitness swimming. I did lose some fitness during that time.<br><br>
I've read something about using a tether to attach a vest to a lane line or pool edge for water running, which can make it more effective. Or, run w/o a vest -- no assistance that way.<br><br>
One thing to keep in mind is your heart rate in the water is naturally going to be lower at an equivalent exertion level than it would be on land.<br><br>
Hopefully some others will come in here and have more ideas for you.

·
Registered
18,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tks Altoids for moving it...<br><br>
Tks sister - I am glad I am getting feedback that I can relate to. One of the Running Moms yesterday gave me some very good pool workouts, for endurance and speed. Yesterday particularly, before I got those, I swam before water running so my heart rate went up a little more. But I had to run REALLY hard in the water to start feeling I was doing something... Very difficult.<br>
The tether idea sounds like something for me to try...<br>
One thing is for sure, it's boring as hell.<br>
But if this is all I can get, I will keep doing it.<br>
I've been doing about 1 hr running + 30-45 min swimming every day.<br>
I just want to be able to finish my marathon (well, if the doc clears meon time). It doesn't scare me since I have no specific goals, but I don't want the death march either at the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts