Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh lord.<br><br>
From 70 mpw and a base of between 50-60 for the year before that to struggling to reach 15 last week. I might make 20 this week. It's going to be a long crawl back.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes, I went from 80 to zero. I tried to start back at 30... and hurt myself a lot. And even when I got my base back, I was slow (wrt to my own pace, goals, etc). But over time, it all came back... and I got to the same mpw and faster than I was.<br><br>
It's a challenge, but you can do it.<br><br>
Make some intermediate goals; it'll help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My appendix burst earlier this year and I was in the hospital afterwards for complications from feb - april. It sucked getting on the treadmill and laboring to try to do a 15 min mile. But I stuck with it and my times and distances are almost back to where they were a year ago (a 19 min 5k a month ago and 16 mile long runs). Stick with it and you'll be back to normal too.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every single running related injury I've had was gained by trying to do too much too soon.<br><br>
I am really struggling to get below an 11:00 min. mile on my runs.<br><br>
14 miles last week, going for 22-24 this week, and rather than increasing I'll do the same next week, up it a bit and stay around 30 for a few weeks. Then I'll gradually add some speedwork in, but it'll be a while before I'm back to my normal 50+ mpw.<br><br>
I had something bad clog my lungs and running was impossible... then we were backpacking. Something about lugging 70 pound packs that isn't conducive to running.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Patience - It will suck in chunks and then it will come back in chunks. Once a body did something the second time getting there is less work, but it is still a lot of work.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Griz- doing better than me. I got only 11 miles.<br><br>
after my 5 weeks from injury I went 30-30-70-75-0-0-11. I'm trying for 3 runs of 30-45 minutes next week

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sue,<br><br>
I've been there. I've decided this time that no matter what my mind is telling my body to do I won't rush the build back to 60-70 mpw. I'm going to build slowly up to 40, take a step back to 30 mpw and add in speed work, then build up to 40 again with speed, take a base building period and see if I can get up to 55 or so, back down to 40 with speed, etc... might take me till Christmas.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Hey Grizz, I know where you are coming from. My running has been slow for about a year. I took 6 weeks off this summer, but have decided to plod through a few half marathons this fall and hopefully move back into respectable times for an old slow fat guy.<br><br>
Yesterday I went 10.3 miles and I found I couldn't get below 11:00 per mile. Granted it was 95F out and I had been running on sand at 100F in Florida two of the three previous days and had flown home BUT 11:35 for a mile...GEESH!!!<br><br>
It better start coming back soon or I actually will have to take a tent on a half marathon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts