Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to begin this tale. I guess it's best to start with the alarm at 3:45 am. There are some days when being part of the race management team does not help! We were at the start line at 5 to get everything set up for a 7 am start.<br>
we got everything set up and I got ready to run and was just standing around chatting and not paying too much attention to the clock. A friend of mine wanted be to help him pace since I passed him in the last half mile of our last race together. I was agreeable, though I was unfamiliar with this course and not sure of how well prepared I was. I suddenly realized that it was 5 minutes to the start and I had not done any warm-up. A quick trip around the block did not get my HR up!<br>
So I plan to try to start back in the pack to help control my initial pace. I'm about 40' back from the starting mat and I can clearly see the mat - only a few really fast runners want to be up front - everyone else is hanging back!<br>
they finally call us forward and no one moves! I reluctantly stroll a little bit closer to the front. The gun goes off and we are off!<br>
The first 1/3 mile is uphill, a steep uphill. I'm speeding up this hill with a heart rate that went from 80 to 180 in about 2 minutes. We crest the top of the hill and it is a steep downhill - no slowing down. Richard and I are both breathing hard and don't communicate well about going way too fast. I crossed the first mile in 7:08 after planning a 7:50! Richard never saw it and was just cruising along. By the time I hit mile two, my HR had not recovered and I had to stop and walk. That's how the next 4 miles went - run a little, walk a little.<br>
this course is set up around the downtown area of Nashville. It crosses the Cumberland River to take a trip around the Titans Stadium where the course is flat. It goes back across on the new Gateway Bridge which has a long slow climb. Then there are lots of turns ans the race slowly works it's way back up to the start. The last 2 tenths are downhill so the finish can be fast.<br>
So, my PW 10K: 55:11 chip time, 7/11 of the 55-59 age group (the winner in this age group was 42:02), 62/116 male, 95/222 overall.<br>
It turned out much better for DW - She was second in her age group with a 52:02!<br>
My pacing buddy didn't have to walk and ended up with a 50:20 and 3rd in his age group!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Starting up a big ole hill sounds like a nice oxygen debt inducer, no wonder folks didn't want to be at the front. Bummer that the race didn't pan out as you'd hoped but it sounds like one of those days. Still, good job on keeping it together for the sightseeing tour and I hope folks appreciated your efforts with the set up.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Hi Trecker!<br>
You had a full morning with volunteering and racing. I hate starting races on the uphill and that sounded like a hard course in general. Congrats to your DW and friend on their AG placement.<br><br>
Still planning on Doing Deadwood? We're scheduled for the 5 p.m pasta slot.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Trecker.. I hate early hills as well.. Following a hectic early morning probably did not help either. Congrats to your DW on her placement... You will nail the next one!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That's quite a HR spike, even taking into account the hill. Next time you'll get in your warmup jog, I bet. Still a good finish time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the positive thoughts! I have to remember that every run has its wonders and lessons. As I move into the warm season, my times will drop but my effort will go up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts