Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any recommendations for two-way radios? I'm often out alone running/biking in areas where cell phones are useless and am wondering about having one for emergencies, multiple groups, etc. I'd like something that is as lightweight as possible as it will be in my running vest/pack or my mtn bike camelback and has a high mileage rating so it is as effective as possible in mountainous areas. If that even means anything with the rating systems.<br><br>
I've looked at ones from Motorola and Midland but have not yet found a site with good reviews.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The Motorola Talkabouts are pretty light. I and friends have used these on many occasions with success. I spotted a 5 Watt unit at Best Buy the other day, which is the highest power allowed for a handheld unit. Not sure what the battery life would be.<br><br>
Remember that these are point to point and not trunked through a tower like a cell phone. The range will vary based on the terrain and height difference between the units.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I had a pair of T5xxx series Motorola Talkabouts with 15 channels + weather. I don't recall the exact model as they went "missing" when I moved a while back. The current models seem to have more features (channels and tones etc). Sounds like you need a 3 or 5 Watter.<br><br>
BestBuy.com has a number of models from various manufacturers that you can compare.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The motorolas are great. I have the T6530 and the T7400R. You definitely don't want anything in the T7xxx series since those are considerably larger and heavier than the others. I like the 6530. I've used both of these for skiing only.<br><br>
Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts