Kick Runners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats Thor and all Boston runners!!! What an amazing accomplishment. I've never done a marathon. All I know is at the end of all 16 halfs I have done, I have said to myself, I cannot imagine doing that again! So inspired by that :)

Hope Mike is fine!

Took Brian to the bus at 5AM for his 8th grade DC field trip. He's so excited and I just cannot believe that he is old enough to go :(

Burn intervals and ab burner DVD.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Time flies Julie!

Back at it and will starting ramping up full again in 2 weeks but life is calming down a bit. FitRev FitCross this a.m. Killer good workout. Swimming later with Robin. Focusing on being true to myself this week and going to bed when I need to and not worrying about it.

Congrats to all Boston runners yesterday in truly awful conditions.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Y'all, thanks for tracking and good words at yesterday's Boston Marathon. I actually had a great race, ran really smart, and didn't slow down all that much. The dead legs were apparent when I just couldn't move them any faster even though I was not hitting the wall. That's what you get for having this condition AND not training specifically for a marathon. Usually I do all of my long runs with quality in them; this year I could not do that, so I didn't bother pushing, instead just focusing on getting my legs back as best I could. Either way, Boston is such a remarkable race to finish the final 5 miles feeling strong. After I made the turn at the fire station at mile 17.5, the stretch from there to up and over Heartbreak Hill went so quickly -- not pace wise but just by feel. Even on years I didn't race, where I had more energy, that stretch never felt as if it went that quickly. That's how within myself I was. Mind you, I was pushing as hard as I could considering the distance left, but I am stronger than the dead legs limit me, so I actually was so in my element and aware of everything through that stretch. The bonus was seeing so many friends. I probably lost a full minute doing this but it was worth it. Good race for me. Not great. But solid with the goods I had. I really ran such a smart race. I never felt smooth but just kept myself under the wire of doom. Crowds were really small once the rains came, but still, this is Boston, and the crowds, even if smaller than normal, are unmatched in kindness, knowledge of the sport, and passion.

As for the stats, I clocked 3:18:01, which nets me my first two of four goals, which is a qualifier for Boston 2016 by 7 minutes, and a sub-3:20. The two goals I did not reach, one of which I knew I wouldn't even though I was ultimately trying for it, was 3:10 and 3:15. I was on the wire for a 3:15 but the hills in Newton and the final stretch took away seconds here and there to put me over; that plus the stops to see friends and it wouldn't happen. And I'm good with that!

Me...

1 mile keep the streak alive run.

Good day!

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Thor - in addition to your athletic skills, you are so smart and in tune with yourself. It's amazing. Did I read somehwere on your FB page (or your response to your friends' posts) your 5K times throughout the race were within 5sec or something of each other? What a smart race. You must have been so excited to get the Heartbreak Hill done so quickly and so strongly.
I hope you were able to catch up with Mike at the beer spot afterwords.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
40 minutes / 6.2 ellipticating miles for me - usual method.

Nice job, Thor - hope you enjoyed your well-deserved celebration.

Mike - I trust that nothing too serious happened, and sorry things didn't go as planned. I know you'll be back (sucker for punishment that you are!)

Geo.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Julie - I saw your FB posts. Is this first time he leaves home without family for many days? Growing up quickly huh?
MQ - I like your post. Feel some even, smart approach to the IM training ahead of you. Good luck.
Geo - Bike commuting every day? Safe ride!

4.5miles, including 2miles in the middle at a bit faster pace than MP. Tried 8:45, but I just can't get it right. 8:22 both miles. I know it's too late but I was just reading about calorie intake during the race. It appears I may need like 700calories. What?? That's like 4 gu's and mouthful of gaterade at every 2miles. One of these days I will get serious about nutrition stuff..... It was in high 40's and I like this so much better than 70F... Luckily the race day weather is looking like 40~mid 50's. Let's hope none of these 20mph gusting wind.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Congrats on another great race, Thor!
Mike - hope your butt feels better soon...

Easy spin on the bike, thinking of doing a du...may be crazy. Can't decide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts