Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pearl Harbor - 60 years ago today. Wow.

Back at it today with a short 2.2 mile run today. this week is going to be recovery and start of off season. Bike is still in the crate and I will be going to the bike shop tomorrow to have them put it back together for me.

Fun quick trip to Florida with my BF.

Race? sort of fun. The water was SOOO cold. Yo and SB, I don't know how you do it. They said the temp was 65 but I have been in 65 degree water and this felt so much colder. We weren't allowed to get in and warm up before the race, so the water was a shock. I couldn't swim (freestyle) until after the second buoy, and even then, I could only string 10-20 stokes together before I couldn't do it anymore. So it was a matter of getting through it with a combination of breast, back, dog paddle and sometimes freestyle. More than once I thought about tapping out, but honestly the fact that my BF was there and I wanted her to see and experience one of my races, is the only reason I kept going. Breathing was so hard. There were quite a few people that got pulled from the water. Felt like the scene from the end of the movie the Titanic...cold water, people thrashing (swimming) about...whistles blowing... I have never experienced a swim like that in my 20+ years of racing. I was exhausted by the time I climbed out of the water.

Riding on the track was pretty cool, but nerve wracking just the same. Almost got taken out by a guy when I tried to move around someone else - he didn't say anything. That would have landed me in the hospital. But after that the pack spread out and it was pretty cool to be riding on the Daytona speedway track.

We ran on the track as well - and that was pretty brutal and boring. I did manage to smile for the camera(s) and tried to look like I was running.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Wow, quite an experience!!! Did you wear wetsuit? Yeah sounds colder than the 65F I could handle! And how cool is that you could ride on the speedway track. I am not familiar with it - how tight and angled (?) is the track? I do recall the High School XC championship DS ran all 4 years finished on the Michigan Speedway track, I am imagining something similar. Whatever the motivation you got from GF's presence and other stuff, way to get it done!!

Had to get up at 5:30am today, to give DH a ride to a train station (heading to Chicago again for biz trip), that was brutal... And drove almost 4hrs total for a biz trip myself. Then 3000yd swim. That was good :) DD leaving for AZ tomorrow for another fun working-anywhere- trip. This time Grand Canyon and Phoenix. It will be quiet here for a while....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts