Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point in time do you get your wheels trued? Mine rear wheel has a slight wobble in it. I would say probably less than a 3/16.<br><br>
Is this something I should do myself? Back when I was younger I used to build BMX wheels so i don't think it would be an issue, but a BMX wheel is a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Depending on what type of wheel you are talking about, a 32 spoke vs a high-tension 12 spoker, I might take a whack at trueing it myself. If you have done it before then you are familiar with the idea of spokes pulling the opposite side of the rim. If you feel like you are making things worse, by all means take it to your LBS.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I tru the wheels on my hybrid, but I won't touch the wheels on my QR. If they go out I want the guys that have done it a million times to do it.<br><br>
CS

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
you can use the brake shoes as your guide, figure out which direction you want the rim to move and pull it in that direction by tightening one or more spokes on one side and loosening the adjacent spokes on the other side. Do maybe 1/4 turn tops. Check first for any loose spokes of damage to the rim.<br><br>
Sometimes a wheel that has been poorly built will have to be stress relived, which is grabbing pairs of parallel spoked and pulling then together, have someone who knows how show you, it's easy but hard to explain with just words.

·
Registered
744 Posts
<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Are you talking lateral true or radial true? Radial truing is a little more involved than lateral truing. If the wheel needs to be radial trued, I wouldn’t try it without a good truing stand.</span></span><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Generally, within 1 mm (1/16 inch) is considered true.</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Dan</span></span>

·
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I have a 24 spoke wheel made by XRP and it needs a lateral truing. I think I will try it myself using the brake shoes.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If that is something like the Road Comp model, you have a bladed spoke. When you turn the spoke nipple, there can be a tendency for the spoke to "wind up" and twist the blade around, defeating the purpose of the bladed design. To can hold the spoke stationary with a small crescent wrench and also put a drop of oil on the nipple threads to help things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts