Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read food labels religiously now because my doctor has me on strict orders to avoid trans fats. I'm really surprised at what has and does not have trans fats. Marie Callendar pot pies have trans fats. Ms. Paul's fish does, but Groton's doesn't. Chick Fil-A has no trans fats in their servings but Kentucky Fried Chicken does.<br><br>
There is a very nice apple pie in the break room from yesterday's birthday celebrations. Two months ago I would have automatically taken a slice. But I can't find on the product label any information as to it's trans fat contents. So, I passed on the pie this morning.<br><br>
When eating in fast food restaurants is it polite to ask them if they cook with trans fats?

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Some publicly have announced they do not use them, or will be stopping. Wendy's doesn't use any trans fats. McDonald's is testing different oils that don't contain trans fats. And in NYC, you should be able to consider yourself safe when the ban is in effect...<br><br>
It takes some leg work, but most fast food places either have nutritional information in the restaurant and even more on their Web sites. You'd have to look up the menu in advance.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Good looking out for yourself GARebelRunner. I could stand to learn more myself.<br><br>
I'm just wondering, do you eat at fast food that much? For the time you're putting into researching it, can you do some of the preparing yourself? I know its a time-consuming chore, but at least you control the menu.<br><br>
Just thinking out loud...

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
GRR, I did a little more looking, and found this sum-up of restaurant trans-fat news:<br><br><a href="http://www.bantransfats.com/eateriesnews.html" target="_blank">http://www.bantransfats.com/eateriesnews.html</a><br><br>
The site as a whole obviously isn't a news organization or objective; evaluate for yourself. It seems to have a lot of information and some good suggestions for eliminating trans fats from the diet at home and dining out.<br><br>
Edited to add this from the site:<br><i>If the label says zero trans fats, don't believe it. If the words "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening" are in the ingredients list, it DOES contain trans fat.<br><br>
Under FDA regulations in effect in the United States, "if the serving contains less than 0.5 gram [of trans fat], the content, when declared, shall be expressed as zero." Suppose a product contains 0.4 grams per serving and you eat four servings (which is not uncommon). You have just consumed 1.6 grams of trans fat, despite the fact that the package claims that the product contains zero grams of trans fat per serving.</i>

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you links and information SGH. I did look for "hydrogenated" as well as the trans fat amount on the label this weekend. I had to put back my beloved brown sugar cinammon pop tarts. So I'm still learning and finding new things to eat.<br><br>
roots - I do end up eating at a lot of fast food restaurants, primarily because I work 10+ hours daily and between that, household duties and fitting in my runs I don't have a whole lot of time to prepare meals. But I have been checking online menus and stopped eating at a few places. I love the expressions on the wait staff and then usually the manager's face when I ask if the use trans fats in their cooking oils. I try not to laugh as they give me that "What planet are you from" look.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
gabe,<br>
It is great that you are working on these self-help steps [label-reading, asking for what you want/need in resaurants]<br><br>
I'm working on breaking my DH of his trans fat and high fructose corn syrup addictions--->I'm taking baby steps to move him in the right direction.<br><br>
Don't try to eliminate everything at once, because you'll probably end up feeling confused, deprived, and angry!<br>
You seem to be headed in the right direction for good health and longevity.<br><br>
~congrats~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts