Kick Runners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a torn medial meniscus in my left knee. It has been bothering me since last October. My plan was to run with it and hope it would go away. It didn't. It hurt during and after every run. I was trying to train for the Portland Marathon, but was having to miss up to a week at a time of running because my knee hurt too much and I really couldn't run or walk without a limp.<br><br>
I went to an orthopedist who said my only option was surgery. A friend had recommend cortisone, and I asked the doctor if I could try a cortisone shot. He said no, he refused to do this. My friend had a cortisone shot one year ago and is still running without having the recommended surgery, so I switched to her orthopedist. I got the shot about 4 weeks ago.<br><br>
My coach had me take off one week of running after the shot, and I am now back to training. I am not 100% pain free, but I ran 20 miles last weekend with no ill effects. Surgeon #2 said that depending on the nature of the meniscus tear (that you can't determine without surgery), that running and use could smooth out the tear and allow healing. If that doesn't work, I will still need surgery.<br><br>
I am posting this only because I sought an alternative to surgery for a problem that faces many runners. If there is interest, I will keep you posted on status.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got the surgery three years ago and have never been the same, and I don't mean that in a good way. I think I've changed my gate to acommodate the weakness in that knee and that's why my achilles are always so sore now...Good Luck... I wasn't told I had any option...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My Oct, '08 surgery seems to have gone a little better. Though my knees aren't perfect, running is one time they don't hurt. Now, if I could just finish dropping the weight I gained while I was trying to cure the problem with rest ......<br><br>
Hope the cortizone treatment works for you. I'm interested in your progress - I still have the other knee to worry about.<br><br>
yar

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will keep you all posted on this. It will probably be a little while till I know if this works for me. I did run 10 yesterday. My knee ached during the night - kept me awake, but seems fine today. I will probably take today off so I am ready for speed work tomorrow. I was hoping my knee would immediately be 100%, but that wasn't what the doctor said would happen. So, I'll keep running, balance ambition with common sense, and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still running - 20 slow on Saturday - knee only hurt a little during the run - knee pain at night. No running Saturday, and today, it seems fine. I have been reading about plasma rich blood as a treatment, but I think it's mostly animal trials now - maybe a few experimental doctors.<br><br>
I will run in the Hood to Coast relay this coming weekend which should be a test. Usually my knee gets sore after a hard run, and the relay will have me doing 3 in 24 hours. There's always Advil.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update. Ran Hood to Coast last weekend - 3 legs 15+ miles. Ran 20 this weekend. My knee is not pain free, but I am able to run consistently and perform as well as pre-meniscus tear. I will give my next update after the Portland Marathon on 10/4.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts