Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Pfitz 70 mpw plan with a few mods. First, I like running 7 dpw, vs the plan 6 dpw. That means I would have to run a few more miles, which might take me up to around 14 hrs per week at peak. Second, I don't like running more than 3 hrs or so, and don't like my long run to be much more than 25% of my total weekly miles. That would restrict my longest long runs to around 18 miles....perhaps 19 if I pushed the final few miles of the run.<br><br>
Comments?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm using Pfitzinger's 55/mile week during the week and Galloway on my intermediate weekday and weekend long runs. I'll have to recheck my schedule but I don't have many 6 day/week runs scheduled. The main thing I would worry about on a 6 day schedule on a regular basis vs 5 is injury potential.<br><br>
As for as the longest run being 18-19 miles, there are books and schedules out there that stop at 18 miles. the Hanson's don't run more than 16 in their long runs leading up to a marathon, although their weekly production is higher than most runners. If you can get to 18-19 and still feel strong, the remaining 6 to 8 shouldn't hinder you in a live marathon, especially if 18 - 19 represents 25% of your total weekly miles.<br><br>
The only thing in the back of my mind that would hinder me if I was in your situation is the psychological impact of reaching the 18 mile mark and the body deciding it's tired because it hasn't gone further than that in a long run, but the 70 miles weekly you are running should make up for that.<br><br>
Other than the injury potential I don't see anything wrong with your plan.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

GaRebelRunner;179970<br><br> The only thing in the back of my mind that would hinder me if I was in your situation is the psychological impact of reaching the 18 mile mark and the body deciding it's tired because it hasn't gone further than that in a long run said:
<br><br>
That's kind of what I was thinking. In the past I have found that long runs feel easier at high mileage than at low mileage. I was also thinking about stepping up the pace for the final third of an 18 miler to simulate marathon conditions more closely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts