Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still don't know if I am accepted, and won't know until late October. But I decided to use a Pfitz 24/55 (with a few mods) to train so I had to officially start training on Sept 3. I'm not sure if people will be interested in the training saga, but I plan to post here once a week or so just to let you all know how it's going.<br><br>
For background, I am coming off a strong summer for a change. I managed to run over 200 miles in both July and August, thanks to the VRAA. I even had one week of 70 miles, so I am pretty confident in being able to complete the 24/55, even with my mods. The basic mods are to run pretty much every day instead of the plan for 5 days per week. Other than that, I will not do much interval work, as they don't do my groin any favors, and I may not do the longer long runs if they take too much out of me. I will know as I get into them if I can recover easily from a 20 mile run.<br><br>
So....week 1 was Sept 3 to 9. Plan was only 30 miles, consisting of 4 runs, including a 7, 8, 4 and 11 miler. Sounds easy for someone who recently ran 70, but I hurt my groin in a 5k race in late August, so I barely managed to get my runs in. I managed 31 miles, including 7.2, 8.2, 4.5 and 11.2. The short run included 20 minutes at threshold. So far so good! This week's plan is for 33 miles. I feel pretty crippled but I don't want to miss anything this early in the schedule so these runs may be pretty slow and easy. Next report will be next week, assuming the site is still up and running!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Training week 2 is in the books. Overall it was successful when measuring actual performance against the schedule, but again, the first 6 weeks of the 24/55 plan are pretty easy compared to what I have been doing for the last couple of months. My right groin and adductor were very sore at the start of the week but they improved as the week went on. I still feel the groin, but it is not painful to run.<br><br>
Schedule was 33 miles, including runs of 12, 9, 8 and 4 miles. Actual was just under 46 miles, with runs of 12.4, 10, 9, 5, 4, 3.1 and 2.1 miles. Included in the 5 miler was 4 miles at threshold (8:30) pace, and not included anywhere is about 15 walking miles for warm up and cool down. The biggest difference between my recent performance and the new schedule is between a high mileage day and a low mileage day. Marathon training is all about stress and recovery, wheras high mileage running is about doing as much as you can do every day.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
good job with your training. do you have a backup race if you do not get in?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I haven't looked for a backup race. I wasn't really looking for a race when I found this one. I was "voluntold" by my boss. My backup would probably be the Vancouver HM with my daughter again next May. I'll probably do the HM regardless of Tokyo.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Week 3 has come and gone. It was not a good week physically, as I strained my left hammy from one end to the other last Sunday, and I developed a couple of large blisters on the outside of my big left toe. The good news was that my right adductor seemed to recover enough to stop hurting, so not all was bad.<br><br>
The plan for wk 22 was 37 miles, consisting of 2 by 4 mile recovery runs, two by 8 mile runs with 4 miles of one at threshold and a 13 mile long run. The actual was just short of 46 miles, consisting of two by 3.2 mile recovery runs, two by 10.1 mile easy runs, a 5 mile run with two at threshold and a 14.2 mile long run. So mileage wise it was an OK week, but things are still early in the schedule and Pfitzinger's 24 week plan starts off easy. Things get a bit tougher next week, with mileage going up to 40. Now that I'm in better physical shape I think I will be somewhere between 45 and 50.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Week 4 has come and....well one day is left, but the serious work is done. My left hammy was still tender but recovering. Right adductor kept telling me it was there, but was not uncomfortable. However, I managed to somehow catch a light cold early in the week and it is still hanging around in my throat. I also acquired several blisters on my left foot, including one under my third toe! I normally never have problems with blisters but I had to bandage up for a couple of days to keep from exacerbating the darn things.<br><br>
The plan included three general aerobic runs of 8, 9, and 14 miles, with an additional two recovery runs of 4 and 5 miles thrown in to total 40 miles overall. The actual was 10.2, 9.4, and 16.6 for the general aerobic runs, with the 9.4 mile run consisting of 5k easy, 5k at goal MP, and the rest at threshold pace. Added to these were four recovery runs of 3.2, 3.5, 4 and 4 miles, (final 4 miler tomorrow morning) to finish the week. My long run today took just over 3 hrs for 16.6 miles, as I took it very easy. First time I have been beyond 15 miles since last spring.<br><br>
So far I've run more miles per week and more days per week than the 55/24 suggests but there are still 20 weeks to go and several challenging 20 milers within them.<br><br>
Next week is a cutback week, with 4 runs and 32 miles in the plan. Now that my body is pretty much fully recovered it should be an easy week, but I still plan to run more than suggested.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the bad news Friday. I was accepted for Tokyo in Feb, so now the REAL training begins.<br><br>
Week 5 was supposed to be a cut back week but didn't turn out that way. The plan had 4 runs, with one 4 mile recovery, two midweek runs of 7 and 9 miles easy and an 11 mile long run. I ran every day, including 3 recovery runs of 3.2, 4.5 and 4.5 miles. My mid week runs were 9 and 8 miles. I was planning to take Friday off, but my Dad had a physio session at the field house and they have a nice indoor track there, so I went out and did 15k with the first third easy, the second third at MP and the final third at or close to threshold. Actual 5k times were 32, 30 and 27.5 min. Total miles were 51 and change, which was about 10 above my goal and 19 above the plan.<br><br>
I am bothered by a persistent low grade discomfort in my left hip, extending all the way down to the back of my knee. I have no strength when I bend over to tie my shoes, but the discomfort goes away if I stand or walk, and I seem to be fine after running a couple of miles. I hope this goes away, as it is not nice for sleeping or sitting at a desk.<br><br>
Week six is a 42 mile week (5 runs) with a 15 mile long run. Should be an easy week although I will likely run 7 days with a couple of extra easy recovery runs just to keep the legs moving.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like the roof is caving in on my training, thanks to that pesky sciatic problem on the left side.<br><br>
Week 6 plan was 42 miles, composed of two 9 milers (one with 4 mi at lactate threshold) and a 15 mile long run. The rest was just 2 recovery runs at an easy pace.<br><br>
Week 6 actual was 46 miles, composed of two 10 milers, with most of one at planned MP (6 min per km) and the other at a progressively increasing pace until the final mile was at MP. I also ran a 10k run with 6 of them at 5:25 per k, plus or minus 5 seconds. The rest was composed of 3 recovery runs and a really bad long run. I had a lot of pain in my left hip as I started out yesterday, so I broke things off at 7 km and ran/walked the return trip home for a total of about 8 miles of the planned 15 miler. Other than that my legs were fine and I coulda woulda shoulda done 15 without any issues. Afterwards I stretched for about 20 min in an attempt to help fix the leg/hip problem, which I believe is a shortness in the piriformis muscle. I will take today off and stretch again, and then will try to run tomorrow. If I cannot get rid of this issue I will likely have to abandon my goal and stop running for a month or two. Not that I want to, but this constant discomfort is not a good way to run.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hope the body treats you a little better and heals. Wise to listen to it. Right now I consider my cross training as marathon training and I am following similar mentality based on Heart Rate. Some General Aerobic(140-160 heart rate), Some recovery(120-140), some kick your ass type workouts(170-190) and some slow long workouts(120-150) - I am back up to @ 1:30 for long.<br><br>
At least you can keep your aerobic fitness that way.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The butt was feeling pretty sore this week, plus I had a very busy work schedule, so I decided to take a couple of days off in an attempt to solve this piriformis issue. Some might say the wheels fell off this week, but I prefer to think it was a tactical retreat in the best interests of my body and my chances of making it to the marathon. By the way, I paid the fee yesterday....12,000 yen. I'm not sure how much in Canadian dollars that is, but I'll find out when the Visa bill comes in. Anyway....<br><br>
The plan was for two easy 9 milers and two 5 mile recovery runs, plus a 16 mile long run to total 44 miles for the week.<br><br>
The actual was one 10 miler, one 5 mile recovery run and a 17 mile long run at a very easy pace, for a total of 32 miles for the week. First week where my miles were less than the schedule, and hopefully the last one too. I was out of gas at the end of the long run, but felt good regardless. Having run a 17 miler with about 16 weeks to go is a great feeling. I only need to add on another 5k and I'll be at my limit for this schedule.<br><br>
I should add that I have been stretching both legs quite a bit this week and am beginning to see some improvement in my butt discomfort. Hopefuly this continues, as I want to run 18 next week.

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
I hope that you recover soon and are able to get the training in. If all else fails there is the 18 week plan to fall back on.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am hopeful that I caught it in time. Today is the morning after the long run and it actually feels pretty good! Mind you, all of that could change pretty quick too. I got some good info in the injury forum, and it's helped change the muscles that I stretch.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Week 8 has come and gone, leaving me one third of the way through the schedule. So far mostly good, but another off week this week. Planned mileage wa 46 in 5 runs with a 17 mile long one. All runs were executed as planned except the long run. A combination of too much time sitting over the past two days (affecting my sciatic nerve) and crappy weather this morning (fresh snow, slippery roads, wind and minus 3C) caused me to cut off the long run at 11.5 miles. I know I could not have finished 17, as my legs were starting to fall apart as it was. Two bad long runs out of the last three, and both of them due to piriformis problems. If this problem doesn't cure itself with the stretching I will have to abandon the effort and maybe try again in the fall.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My week was hectic, but successful. The piriformis is hurthng less and less as I continue to stretch it. Altering my stance back to heel striking also seems to help, and I expect to be totally pain free in another couple of weeks. Left leg still feels week though, especially when I try to bend over with weight on that side. Anyway, Monday was supposed to be a cross country travel day but the plane had dead batteries so I re-scheduled for Tuesday. Then I ran an easy 5.8 miles on a day that is scheduled off. Tuesday was supposed to be an easy 10 miler, but I travelled and did 10.6 miles on Wed morning instead of the scheduled recovery run. I was busy Thursday so I missed a 10 miler, but I managed to do it Friday morning, followed by an easy 5 miler on Friday aft. Saturday was supposed to be 5 mile recovery, and I ran 6.5. Today was supposed to be an 18 mile long run, and I ran 18.2 miles, at an average pace of 10:34, but with the final few miles much faster, including a last mile at 9:45. Legs felt good, but tired. Not glycogen depleted though.<br><br>
Weekly plan was 48 miles including two 10's and an 18. I managed 56 and change, including 10.3, 10.6 and 18.2. Remaining scheduld miles were two recovery runs and I managed three. So I feel good!<br><br>
Next week is a scheduled cutback week with major runs including two 8 milers and a 13 mile long run. I will try to go a bit farther on all three of those.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was week 10 of the 24/55, and a bit of a gimmie I thought, as it was scheduled to be a 39 mile rest week, with two 5 mile recovery runs, two 8 milers and a 13 mile long run. I knew going into the week that I would do more, and the only question was HOW much more. By yesterday morning I already had the 39 miles, with today's long run yet to be added. As it turns out, only a chance butt massage last night enabled me to add some miles to that 39 mile total.<br><br>
Monday was a scheduled off day but I managed an easy 4.3 miles in Vancouver's Stanley Park. That night I flew to Smithers, where I did a 10 mile run at goal marathon heart rate, averaging 9:46 overall. Tues aft I travelled to the mine, and Wed morning I managed an easy 5k on the TM. Thurs morning was supposed to be an 8 miler, but I only managed another 5k on the TM. Then I drove back to Smithers and ran 10.5 miles, again at marathon heart rate, with an average pace of 9:48 overall. Friday morning I wanted to run 5 miles, but it was snowing hard so I did it on the TM at home. Then I drove to Kamloops, arriving that evening. Sat morning I was planning to do 6 or 7 miles but my butt was really sore after the drive, and I managed to run 6k before shutting things down for the day. With my weekly mileage now in the bank I was having second thoughts about today's long run, but after a great butt massage last night and a good night's sleep I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. So I went out at a very slow pace (37 min for the first 5k) and slowly picked things up over a 22k run in just over 2.5 hrs. Total weekly miles was 53 and change. The butt has been massaged twice since then and it continues to feel great!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Wow! Keep it going. Seems like you are doing a good job of managing your physical ailments and keeping to the plan. Great job!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! There have been days when I thought I wouldn't make it, but so far so good. I am saving a mulligan for a day when I really need it!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting close to the hump with week 11 of the 24/55. This week's plan was a 10, 11 and 17 mile run, with a couple of 5 mile recovery runs mixed in, for a total of 48 miles. The 10 miler was supposed to include 5 at LT pace, and this was something I failed to do. Nevertheless, I managed to run the 10, 11 and 17 milers, with two easy 5's, a 6 and a 4. Total miles for the week was 58, and I am now over 500 total in prep for the race.<br><br>
Next week's schedule is for 51 miles, with some serious VO2 max work mid week. I might belay that and just do the miles, as I am not anxious to push the pace on my gimpy hips. They are not bugging me as much as earlier, but I don't want to take a chance that they will flare up again.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This was week 12 of the 24/55, so at the half way point and all downhill from here! The plan had three major runs, including 9 (with 6 by 800 m at 5k pace) 12, and 18 miles. The week rounded out with two 6 mile recovery runs, for a weekly total of 51 miles.<br><br>
After last Sunday's long run I flew to Vancouver for meetings, and ran 4 miles easy on Monday, followed by 6.25 on Tues, with the final 15 min at decreasing pace from 10 to 8 min. Then I flew back to Smithers and ran 9 miles, with 4 by 800 meters at 8 min pace. This seemed to loosen my legs up and allowed me to run easily for the rest of the week. I guess intervals have their place in training, even for old gumps like me1<br><br>
Then drove out to the mine, returning on Thursday, which I took as a day off. On Friday I had fresh legs so I did 20k with the final 15k at goal MP and goal HR. Felt good, and I felt like I could have gone another 10k at that pace if I really wanted to. On Sat I ran 6 at a brisk pace, and then today I ran 17.7 at a very easy pace. No, I didn't wimp out on the 18 miler....after my run I want out for my first XC ski....going for about 100 minutes at an easy pace. Total miles was 55 and change, not counting the XC ski session.<br><br>
Next week includes a 20 miler in a 55 mile week. I will not be stretched on the total distance, but will be tested on the 20 miles.<br><br>
I also made my reservation at the Hyatt Regency, in Shinjuku. This hotel is right at the start line of the race, so very easy to just step out onto the street and start running. But it means a 26.2 mile walk back to the hotel after!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts