Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I thought this was posted in the past but couldn't find an answer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>During the ironman bike ride I did late June, I started to develop some sore toe issues on both feet.  The pain starts underneath the toe and seems to travel down towards the ball of my feet.  I've worn the same cycling shoes since 07 and I've had this experience to a lesser degree on longer rides.  It only happens when I get past 60 miles or so.  During the run, it was a little painful in the beginning but I was able to shake it off after about a mile, then the pain never returned.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I thought maybe because I road sockless this is why my feet hurt, so the next weekend I went for a 4.75 hr ride, pretty hard with my favorite socks.  I road much harder than I did during the ironman, very hard, and my toes were killing me after 60 miles.  Very painful in fact.  I could not run at all afterwards...... Sooo both of those days it was hot, I thought my feet were expanding and got too big for my shoes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sooo I got some nice new shoes, a 1/2 size bigger.  Lots of room.  Last weekend I did a 4 hour ride, very hard, toes again started hurting after 3/4 of the ride. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone have an idea of what the heck is going on?  Should I adjust the cleat position?  I think the guy at the shop adjusted my cleats when he did a fit, maybe after 3+ hours of pounding away, my toe gets sore?  I'm not pedaling efficient enough?  arghhhh!  Any advice would be appreciated.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Hey you're suppose to have the answer to my problem, not the same problem as me!! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had a great bike workout tonight, I was doing loops around a 1.2 mile area at around FTP, then run hard under 7min miles, then another set of loops, then another run faster all sockless.  Feet felt great.  I'm doing another long ride on Saturday, it will be interesting to see if its still there.  </p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>have you formed a callous on the end of your toe?  I have from running in lighter and tighter shoes, I wonder if it is related.  My toe hurt like crazy the other day so I removed the insoles and that seemed to help some.</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>I have some skin that is really hard on the outer edge, so I guess I have to say yes to calluses..?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Taking the insoles out helped?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Numbing toes does not sound good.  Not sure how to diagnose that one.  I've heard of other people having that problem though.</p>

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
<p>my feet have a tendency to fall asleep when sockless.  Unfornuately, I'd prefer to be sockless on the run.   I went sockless for a sprint and did okay......so it seems to be long bike rides.   someone told me it's more because I "toe down" rather than push with my heel.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>there isn't a spot around my toes that aren't calloused :(.  I had a podiatrist tell me to buff them down once and i got the most horrible blisters for months!!!   there's only one thing worse than that and it's blisters under callouses....then you swim and the blister comes loose and you have a 2-inch hole on your forefoot.</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<p>So I just got done with a 1:40 ride on my ride bike pretty hard, as I tend to do.  Now that I'm conscious of it, the pain does start on the owtside of my toe where the calluses are.  I think you're right. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Perhaps I didn't notice this early in the season because my run volume was low.  Now that I'm increasing my volume, and my feet are all callused and funky, this issue coming alive on the bike.  Maybe I just need to take care of my feet, which I never ever do, and the problem will go away.  Worth a shot... though not sure how to take care of my feet. Some kind of powder or something. I'll ask the wife she'll know :)</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>i have noticed that when i am tired and sloppy and mash the pedals it hurts more, if i pull up correctly the pain is minimal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think the callous may be related to minimalist footwear, there are plusses and negatives to everything I guess.</p>

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<p>Thats a good thought.  I won't deny I could get sloppy when I'm just trying to go hard, or on a long ride, if I don't think about it I may get sloppy after a few hours.  Somethings to work on this weekend.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wear Newtons for running, while not minimalists, they have less support than most shoes.  Just under 10oz. </p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>I do not run much, but when I do it's mostly in light racing shoes with a low heel.  I suspect the different gait has caused some different callous formations on my feet.  Overall, I'm happy running in the light shoes as long as I don't overdo it.  I do find though that it's hard to do the quality on the bike too soon after a run.</p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.