Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SB - I don't like bibs and can't use them during a triathlon...so...but the struggle is real, regardless.

Spring like temps and sun here today! but roads are super crappy, so on the trainer. another 45 min workout, plus a dog walk in the morning.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Zoj - I like tri shorts much better than bike shorts with huge padding. I have a harder time to find a seat I like. My Stumpy’s seat has worn out and has a rip but I’m hanging onto it.

SB - is the 28mile course one big loop?? That sounds scary considering racers are all alone out there under possible challenging weather. I’m sure your training as S&R comes handy and sounds like you are well prepared. Good luck!

I didn’t post yesterday - 2 mile walk and 1:15 on my Pony. One section of the dirt road right outside my sub Is mess but the rest of it dry to my surprise.
Today, a great swim 3000Yd. There were only 6 swimmers so I didn’t have to worry about swimming into somebody. Then 5 miles run. Not a terrible headache but HR was so high and the rate of perceived effort was high. Happy to be able to run :).

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Is this Julie Hara a real person? Crazy... (see Zombie post originally posted by 4BM).

Yes - good luck, SB! That sounds like a challenging day ahead - big backpack = good idea! You mountain folk are crazy.

Nothing yesterday. Today I went for my once every 3.5 month run (weather was too nice not to!). 4 miles at a surprisingly brisk 8:10 pace (surprised myself - but guess my cardio fitness hasn't suffered that much). My body will pay for it tomorrow though ...

Glad you got a good day of exercise in, Yo ... a double is impressive! Nice to have a good, empty swim for a change.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yo-yes the 28 is a loop and it climbs a ridge and takes a steep multi mile descent in the last 10 miles in an area that is less used. I did drop to the 13 miler because I didn't want to risk damaging my healing foot pressing to make the cutoffs in the 28 miler. Since then my foot has been great in my 3 pin boots although I am still having nerve twinges in the new nnn boots I am trying. THEREFORE, I kept thinking I could have...yet again I do not want to risk pushing it. I plan to do the 28 mile course on my own with one of my "posse" standing by with a snow machine and another snowshoeing the last miles with me...

As to the race, there is a 100-mile multiday race that starts today its x-c ski, fat bike or run/snowshoe. The 28 and 13 leave Sunday morning, the 13 has been modified so you go out along the river (away from the paved road) 3 miles, cross the bridge, head back toward the road for 4 then loop back again this keeps this one group relatively close while the 28 miler goes along the first track for 13 then climbs the ridge getting more and more remote and the 100 has gone way out over the divide and should be making their way in (those that are slow) by then. There is further confusion with the original race having been only the 13 (an out and back) later adding the 28 and only recently the 100 it appears the SAR team support of the original race got "assumed' into these new configurations but with the heavy winter they opted out and maybe there is not enough communication! It also appears the RD's assume that SAR will be on the 28 mile course to evacuate any missing cutoffs or unable to continue but the team says they will be in town and will respond (prep plus 40 minute drive to the start) if called. If that is not enough to put you on the edge of your seat. The weather now for the 100 mile start is bluebird skies and warming, it was -5 overnight but should get up to the mid 30's then back to @ 0 tonight for the first night on the 100 mile course. Sometime tomorrow one of 2 weather fronts arrives it could be just stiff north winds or a full blizzard forecast models are mixed. It then clears overnight (for cold temps for the 100 milers and cold start temps for the 13 and 28) and then more weather the models are even more muddled on how much, wind and snow but in what quantity? Although I got a verbal agreement from an RD I found on the course last week when I was training, I have gotten no written confirmation of my distance change but I know what I need to do!
There are many people with snow machines in this area so I am hopeful the RD's are scrambling other support onto the course but don't have the inside scoop on that it reminds me of the ow clinics I held in Alaska, I had support boats lined up but then on the day the salmon were running and no boats showed so we had to rent kayaks and go out ourselves to support the new swimmers.

Geo-good job being able to keep up the running pace with only occasional practice.

I got out for a 3 mile trial of a different pair of nnn boots. Pretty good but some rubbing of the big toe will require more fiddling with foot beds and pads to get it right. I then wen tot high angle SAR training before getting home late for me!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Also I wanted to add to Zo I struggle with bibs in general hard to put on or to take a pee break but all the wasitband only bottoms work thier way down and chafe in cycling and x-c skiing and snowshoeing. Nothing is as much fun as taking off your coat in subzero blizzard conditions in order to get your pants down... yet having chafing and pants falling while I am skiing (took a notable header down a hill becuase of that 2 years ago) are also an issue. At least men's ski tights don't have anything anatomy specific but they still are only barely hanging in there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts