Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

Thursday, Dec. 18 - WORKOUTS!

780 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Muffin Queen 
#1 ·
Good morning, TEAM LIT!

Kirsten: Congratulations on being selected! How cool to be able to go to Uganda with the group you are. Must be super rewarding an experience to give back in the manner you are.

Reg: Dead Poets Society is among my all time favorite RW films. And I'm like you too -- I am a sucker to teacher type movies like that!

Sparty: Thx for good word on the dead legs.

Me...

5.5 mile easy run early this wet morning. Been wet for three mornings in a row now.

Great day, friends!

#2 ·
DOR for me I think unless I get home early enough for a short run of treadmill run to grab another episode of Grimm.

Ksurp: Congrats! Uganda sounds fascinating.
Thor and Geo: I'm not sure I could pick a single favorite RW movie. Good Will Hunting was so moving for me. DPS was also. He did another where he played a dark role that fascinated me too but I cannot recall the name. I think it was with Pacino and was set in Maine.
Yoshi: What great result you are having. I love the joy you are conveying through your words.
Sparty: Sparty on! You'll get there.
Cak: How are things in your neck of the woods?
Zoj: work is that awful 4 letter work lately isn't it. :(
Geo: Betrayed, John Lescroart. Definitely recommend it. Just started Unbroken this morning. So far fully sucked into the story.

Better get on analyzing this new AML crap policy.

#3 ·
DOR here as I have driving duty for hockey practice tonight.

MQ: Unbroken is quite a read. I couldn't put it down and I'm going to use it with my students this spring. The movie trailer looks great too. The variety of extreme situations that people dealt with during the World War II era are hard to wrap my head around. How anyone managed to survive that war and all the torture, extermination, bombing, battle, starvation, loss of loved ones, destruction of countries and communities is beyond me.

Learning about Uganda is already blowing my mind. I'm hoping we have some unscheduled time to take in some of the adventure opportunities there like going on a trek to observe gorillas in the national parks and white water rafting the Nile.

#4 ·
Kristen - Uganda!? What an exciting and great opportunity for you, Congrats! Hopefully you are not stressed out about IM training during the time.
Thor /Geo - sounds like Dead Poet Society is what I have to watch! Right after RW's death, DH checked out the movie out of library. Of course it got returned before I had a time to watch. I just have no time (nor much interest in sitting in front of TV) during week.

I did read Unbroken. A great story and I can't wait to watch the movie. Having said that, however, how the Japanese prison guards (particularly one guy, forgot the name) treated him is just awful. Just horrible. I feel ashamed of such a brutal inhumane treatment as a Japanese. And of course there were millions stories like that prior/during the war times.

8miles in cold/misty rain. 6miles at MP (target was 8;55 but did at 8:36). Low HR but RPE (rate of perceived effort) was high. Probably due to the PT evaluation/exercises this morning. Boy, my abductor muscles are weak. And I have a very limited range of motion in the front of hip/quad, thus my strides are really short and my back has to work extra hard to compensate. It all makes sense. Maybe that's why I lost so much speed. I still run at 180-190 cadence/min. and the aerobic capacity is there. But if the stride length got shorten over the last few years, 180 foot steps doesn't cover as much distance as they used to! I am going to commit to the exercises they gave me. I WILL!!

#5 ·
DoR for me (company xmas luncheon. Too many Lindt balls ... good thing I'm not participating in the "Be a Loser!" thread....)

I can't really remember the Dead Poet's Society (only a vague recollection that I liked it at the time it came out). I have been trying to get DD to watch "To Sir With Love" ... no luck so far! Also, I thought "The History Boys" was a good one in the genre (although with dark undertones ... speaking of which, should watch "The Prime of Ms. Jean Brodie" again as well!). Sheesh ... I need to be retired to catch up on all the films I should re-watch!!!

180 steps/min, Yoshi! (3 per second?) ... that sounds insane!

Geo.

#8 ·
KSurp: Super exciting! So happy for you and cannot wait to hear all about it!
Thor: Sending happy leg vibes your way!
Geo: lol
Yosake: Your training is going so good! Exciting to share in your journey :)
Me: X3 lower and 4 mile run.

I LOVED Unbroken. Read it in 2 days on vacation. Could NOT put it down. Crazy all that happened to a real person and not a movie story!

#9 ·
Loved Unbroken, the book. Favorite RW movie, Awakenings is way up there for me.

Uganda? Wow, ksurp, super cool!
Yoshiko, as usual your consistent training is inspiring!

Pilates with the hubby this morning. Trying to stay away from the cookies and other snacks as I'm not exercising all that much. Heel is recovering, insert is helping, as is ibuprofen and not running.

#10 ·
Hey all. I am way behind on everything. Running, posting, etc. etc. my excuse is that we are in the early stages of relocating. This time only a couple hours east to Dubuque, IA. So that is taking up a lot of time and energy. I try to at least peruse through the threads, but will likely be off the grid a bit. But I will resurface, fear not.

#11 ·
Kaiser good luck on the move! Dubuque was a nice place when I was passing through quite a few years ago I'm sure it still is!
I am under the weather this week like sparty I have an insane cough mine seems to be more of an allergic thing stemming from a youth of untreated asthma I have as my PT says "tremendous coughing and lifter muscles" so when the rains hit something was triggered and I've been getting crazy bouts of coughing that are scaring everyone and tiring me out. I still tried to ride yesterday but the bike path was flooded so I walked aorudn my neighborhood, I was afraid to ride my local hills thought I might fall off the bike if I triggered another coughing episode.

Ksurp-Uganda sounds fascinating several of my colleagues have been and I love looking at their slide shows, enjoy!!

Now I have to dust myself off and start getting ready for the holiday!

#12 ·
2k in the pool. feeling stronger, but stamina isn't there. That will come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.