Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,<br><br>
I am relatively new to this site, and trying to venture beyond my "running club" thread.<br><br>
I was diagnosed with 2 stress fractures almost a month ago (well, suspected, then confirmed). Prior to that, the doctor thought I had tendinitis, so I spent 3 weeks not treating the correct injury. All told, it's been 6 weeks since I have run.<br><br>
I am able to do other things, like stationary bicycle and the elliptical, and upper body weights. I suppose I could swim...if I could swim.<br><br>
I struggle with feeling down about it. The good news is that I am still able to stay active and hopefully won't gain the same weight that I did the last time I was injured (bursitis), when I was unable to do much of anything. The bad news is that I had really hoped to start training for a marathon, and that goal is getting pushed further and further away. (On the other hand, I suppose they will still be having marathons in a few years, right?)<br><br>
Anyhow, just wanted to say hello and check in with others on the DL. If anyone has stress fracture success stories, I'm all ears (well, eyes, seeing as I am reading...)

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
DETurtle knows something about breaking bones and recovery...<br><br>
There are others.

·
Registered
15,691 Posts
Hey Diane.<br><br>
It's going to be tough at times, there's really no way around that because you have to give it time to heal and while that time is passing, you'll be thinking about what you would like to be doing. I know I was absolutely hating it at times when my leg was in the cast, then in the boot.<br><br>
And you've got the right attitude about doing other things while the leg heals. Because the only thing I could do pretty much was upper body stuff, I'm a heck of a lot stronger now.<br><br>
You'll get back to things again. I still remember all the feelings I had when I went out to the high school track that Saturday morning in April, nervousness, anticipation, relief. Just try to be patient.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stress fractures. GB is right, I stress fractured my Distal Femur last fall and made it really bad by running an event on it in November. At first they thought I had a fracture in my hip, but it turned out to be in my femur. I was off of running for 2 months, was allowed the elliptical (after the first month), bike, and upper body weights. I managed to keep my weight steady by adjusting my food intake. I was allowed to start running again in Feb.. My Orthopod recommended a schedule which had me taking a day off every three days. At first it seemed like I always had a rest day, but I still was working out 6 days a week. I also had to make sure I was eating right. I was cleared to start training for Ultras again in April. I'm running a 50K the first weekend of August.<br>
It was hard for me to be inactive during the recovery time, but I was glad I listened to the Doctor. I could have made it a lot worse had I continued to run on it. As it stand right now, I haven't had any pain or problems since I started the modified training schedule.<br>
As for the root cause of my stress fracture. It could have been cause by a few different factors, like overtraining and diet, which I have been working on. Another contributing factor was likely a tight piriformis muscle, which I frequently roll on a foam roller/yamana ball to loosen up.<br>
I hope you get better soon and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me. You'll be back to running soon enough, just take the time to heal.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hi Dinosaur,<br><br>
Welcome to the board; I hope your healing happens quickly, and you are back up and running (literaly) soon. Stress fractures are tough to deal with, but you know what, so is bursitis. And you got through that.<br><br>
Is there a goal you can set for yourself right now that would be realistic within the parameters of what you can do? Your marathon goal is postponed, not canceled. But I'll bet if you had something to work towards right now (even taking swim classes!) it would make you happier.<br><br>
Good luck with the healing.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and your amazing story, <b>DEturtle</b>. <b>diablita</b>, you're right, bursitis was difficult to deal with and, at that time, I didn't even have a gym membership to fall back on for other exercise.<br><br>
Thanks again. It's still hard to read about others' running and racing accomplishments, but I do know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts