Kick Runners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang!
short run and then brought in wood since tomorrow weather is supposed to be pure crap. (50s and RAIN blech)

25 pushups

Yo - I am able to do the 25, albeit split in two sets, but I agree, some days I can do more military style and other days 10 or 12 is all I can muster. And I still can't make it as low as I would like...

Stay safe everyone! work sent out a list of planned protests for over the weekend leading up to Inauguration day, including "armed" protests at every state capital on Sunday. sigh. We have a long way to go I am afraid. Moving to Canada is looking pretty good right about now.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
40's and rain here. Guess the mountains might get a bit of snow ... tough year up north for sure.

40 minutes on the Nordic Track here; increased leg tension a bit. Huffed and puffed.

I think DD will be holed up in her appt next week ... Hope it does not come to violence. I've always got British citizenship to fall back on, although with Brexit and COVID19 variants, the UK doesn't sound in a much better place than we are (although anywhere without he-who-shall-not-be-named is one up in my book).

geo

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
SB - thx for sharing you and SAR stuff. I am curious if SAR teams’ main works are to help some poorly prepared hikers or more like help locals who get accidentally stuck in isolated areas. Cirque de towers is on my bucket list but with the altitude and lots of climbing just being “fit” ain’t going to cut it I understand. DH and I need some serious training for 2022. I know it’s awful but I’m kinda fascinated with accidents and mysterious deaths and such in National Parks....

Zoj - yeah I hear you on the possible attacked to the state capitals. Just terrible ... when those deep hatred and relentless misinformation were spreading for many years unchecked and encouraged by some people on the office.....

Geo - DD must be exciting with a new administration coming in!

3000yd Seiko during lunch. Water temp felt much better (lower), ave Hr was more reasonable 134. It’s not easy to get 3000yd in within an exact 60min, since some kicking and equipment changes take longer. 2 mile walk after work was terribly slippery in our sub.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yo-if you plan to take enough time I think being fit and prepared will be sufficient, you need to be pretty good at maps and route finding (we were swapping notes on finding hikers so lost they didn't' know which side of the continental divide they were on) and the unprepared, you can't go ultra light as the weather can get serious but you want to go as light as possible. If would help if you could plan a few days acclimation and day hiking here first.. Some interesting things about navigation here on the one hand down is west til you cross the divide and each area is bracketed by drainages, on the other mineral deposits make compasses go nuts sometimes and the trials and roads actually on the ground don't match what is on the maps. Its assumed you can do your own cross country route finding and we do have active glaciers which you either need to know how to handle or plan to avoid, ice and snow are found year round. The most popular trials are pretty easy to find but be sure to keep up on really reading maps. So...if you want to plan a few days at my boot camp I will be happy to practice skills in our little bermuda triangle known as pot creek park...

Zoj-its quiet here I guess big protests are not well tolerated and its very cold out. We'll see its weird though hearing all this craziness but being here.

SAR responses, injured climbers, late, lost and unprepared hikers, sometimes from very crazy storms, last labor day heavy snow and wind took down thousands of trees and they had to air drop supplies before they could get people out. Quite a few injured or sick hunters, mostly localish, stuck, injured snowmachiners and snow machines and fat bikers caught in avalanches, next county has the skiers caught in them we have less skiers. There was a tremendous uptick in lost/injured/unprepared hikers this year compared to previous years and a fatal climbing accident in the towers. There are always a few missing motorists who were on dirt roads. Fishing accidents too. Avalanche and fishing are most usually body recovery though. The county goes deep into the winds and the Wyoming range as well as the green river and thousands of miles of dirt roads. The team has specialty teams including avalanche, short haul (heck no), high angle, swift water, ice and diving as well as hike in type. There might be others but that's all I can recall right now. I am sure I will learn more as time goes on.

Workout oh yes I am inspires to increase push ups but had to do it in 3 parts for 21 total 3 each time military then 4 on my incline. @5 mile snowshoe late in the day after all kinds of work on the house.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
SB - I am horrible at reading maps. Definitely something I need to work on.... I have to be self sufficient if something happens to DH during hikes.... About SAR responses, the weather/terrains sounds very unforgiving there.. Yeah considering the altitude, we need to arrive a few days before taking on the long backpacking hike for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts