Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I'm going to be adding these to my off season workouts this year. </p>
<p>I've decided that yoga will be better done at the gym and in a class setting.  Otherwise I just won't focus.  </p>
<p>But what about pilates?  Is this better in a class?  At home?   Any dvd ideas? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.</p>

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
<p>Not a direct answer to your questions, but I just want to say that core & upper body strengthening workouts absolutely rocks.  Since I do fair amount of running and riding, I don't do much leg strengthening workouts.  I have been doing ave. 2/wk of just 20-30min of core/upper body for the last 1.5yr or so and I haven't had any running injuries at all.  I used to get sore lower back, tight hip muscles you name it.</p>
<p>So have fun.  There are so many good ideas out there, using a big ball, medicine ball, and all that.</p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>I've been taking Pilates with an instructor at a studio (not at a gym) since last fall.  I take a mat class and a reformer class weekly (reformer = equipment).  I am insanely stronger than I was last fall, it's solved 90% of my recurring back pain, AND quite frankly there's been some pretty darn nice aesthetic improvements separate from everything else.  I'd tried to figure out Pilates on my own from a video a few times, and I never really got it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I credit Pilates for getting me through my 1 mile OWS race last weekend with no soreness on no swim training (I've been in the water about 6 or 7 times since February).  I know if I'm ever allowed to run or bike again that the increased strength (not just core) will really pay off.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Look for a certified instructor (I recommend Stott).</p>

·
Registered
890 Posts
<p>Disclaimer - I have been a certified Pilates instructor for almost 10 years!  With that said, I recommend taking classes with an instructor, whether they be at a studio or gym.  There is nothing like having an instructor on hand to give cues and make adjustments. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Personally, I love Yogalates classes (sometimes listed as PiYo).  To me it is the best of both worlds.  You get the flexibility benefits of yoga and the strength and core focus of Pilates. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck!</p>

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Next question-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I checked with my gym and the only day that I can make their pilates class is also a day in which my current calendar says easy run + weights.  Is it best to okay to do all three in one day or would it be best for me to make some adjustments?</p>

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
<p>I might skip the weights until you see how intense the class is.  The run should be fine, I've run to pilates class before.   If you have the option, I might take the class first.   :)</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.