Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.<br>
I'm moving to Alabama in a few months and am trying to map out my training schedule leading towards a fall marathon. I'm wondering if any of you have knowledge of good races in the following areas: Atlanta (other than Peachtree - won't be there yet, unfortunately), Birmingham, Montgomery. I would travel a little further for a top-notch half marathon or ten-miler. I've checked out the race calendar on Running Journal with little success.<br><br>
I'm really looking for things 10k and up anytime from the beginning of August through late September. I imagine this is a tough time of year to find races in the south, of course...<br><br>
Also, anything I should put on my calendar for winter/spring?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, all.<br>
Thanks for the quick feedback. I really appreciate the links! I definitely am not looking for any marathons in the next year (running Chicago and then another race in April), but will keep the Georgia races in mind. I'd also be interested in giving Huntsville a try at some point as I've heard good things about it as well. The labor day race also sounds good but will have to wait for another year as I'll be heading north for the final Park Forest Scenic 10 that day.<br><br>
I definitely am willing to drive in to Atlanta for the occasional race, though probably it would need to be at least 10k in distance or have some outstanding competition to make it worth it (the hour time change and 2 hour drive would make for a very very early morning or else having to spring for a hotel room). Definitely keep suggestions coming as they occur to you - I'm picky about my races and race schedule, so if I seem to be a negative Ninny, please forgive. It's particularly hard for me to plan travel for races right now as I am starting a new job in fall and am unsure how it is going to work with my training/racing.<br><br>
Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks. I also appreciate the offer to introduce me to/put me in touch with local clubs, GARebel. I may take you up on that. I'm in touch with my to-be local club, as well as with the coach of the college team and am hoping to get in some training with them, but more contacts are always appreciated.<br><br>
I'll hope to meet some of you at races. Haven't had time to be around much of late, but it's great to see some familiar faces.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts