Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.<br>
I'm moving to Alabama in a few months and am trying to map out my training schedule leading towards a fall marathon. I'm wondering if any of you have knowledge of good races in the following areas: Atlanta (other than Peachtree - won't be there yet, unfortunately), Birmingham, Montgomery. I would travel a little further for a top-notch half marathon or ten-miler. I've checked out the race calendar on Running Journal with little success.<br><br>
I'm really looking for things 10k and up anytime from the beginning of August through late September. I imagine this is a tough time of year to find races in the south, of course...<br><br>
Also, anything I should put on my calendar for winter/spring?

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
The Atlanta people can tell you much more, but Atlanta has its marathon on Thanksgiving Day, I believe.<br><br>
Good luck with your move, hrmay!

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
<a href="http://www.atlantatrackclub.org" target="_blank">www.atlantatrackclub.org</a><br><br>
There's a great marathon (Chickamauga) in North GA on November 10.<br><br>
There are constantly A LOT of races in the Atlanta area all through the summer... if you want one and can travel this far, I doubt you'll have a problem

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Try nashvillestriders.com for some ideas and hopefully some links. It seems to me that southern running is hilly running, so there aren't a ton of races for excellent times.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Birmingham has a very good track club and quite a few races. I'll look up their web address shortly. I'm not that familiar with Montgomery races. Birmingham's premiere marathon is in February and more information can be obtained from <a href="http://www.mercedesmarathon.com" target="_blank">www.mercedesmarathon.com</a>. It is very nice. Huntsville, Alabama has a nice, medium size marathon in early December. Weather may or may not be an issue, just depending.<br><br>
Atlanta is almost a runner's paradise. We have two marathons now - the Thanksgiving Day marathon and 1/2 put on by the Atlanta Track Club and the ING Georgia Marathon and 1/2 in March. They have entirely different routes so you see different parts of the city. If the RD can resolve the water/powerade glitches the ING Georgia will become one of the premier marathons in the South. And as mentioned above there is the Chickamauga Marathon just below Chattanooga in November, Knoxville and Nashville both have marathons in April. Memphis has one in December. So there is no shortage of races for whatever distance within reasonable driving time from Alabama.<br><br>
It is difficult not to find a weekend with 5k, 10k and/or trail runs going on within the Atlanta metro area year round. We have excellent running venues at Stone Mountain, Silver Comet Trail, Chattachoochee Nature Preserve and many other areas around the city. Check out <a href="http://www.atlantatrackclub.org" target="_blank">www.atlantatrackclub.org</a> and go to their 3 month calendar. It's very detailed.<br><br>
Let us know as you get closer to your move to Alabama. We'll be glad to put you in touch with clubs and running stores that can assist you.<br><br>
PS: For a really good 10k race Labor Day Weekend check out <a href="http://www.us10k.org" target="_blank">www.us10k.org</a>. It's a 6 mile uphill (inclines - nothing severe but steady) race in Cobb County.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, all.<br>
Thanks for the quick feedback. I really appreciate the links! I definitely am not looking for any marathons in the next year (running Chicago and then another race in April), but will keep the Georgia races in mind. I'd also be interested in giving Huntsville a try at some point as I've heard good things about it as well. The labor day race also sounds good but will have to wait for another year as I'll be heading north for the final Park Forest Scenic 10 that day.<br><br>
I definitely am willing to drive in to Atlanta for the occasional race, though probably it would need to be at least 10k in distance or have some outstanding competition to make it worth it (the hour time change and 2 hour drive would make for a very very early morning or else having to spring for a hotel room). Definitely keep suggestions coming as they occur to you - I'm picky about my races and race schedule, so if I seem to be a negative Ninny, please forgive. It's particularly hard for me to plan travel for races right now as I am starting a new job in fall and am unsure how it is going to work with my training/racing.<br><br>
Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks. I also appreciate the offer to introduce me to/put me in touch with local clubs, GARebel. I may take you up on that. I'm in touch with my to-be local club, as well as with the coach of the college team and am hoping to get in some training with them, but more contacts are always appreciated.<br><br>
I'll hope to meet some of you at races. Haven't had time to be around much of late, but it's great to see some familiar faces.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
There's Carl Touchstone during the winter, though that might be too long for what you're looking for. I know there is a 50M and 50K option but I can't remember if there is a 25K or 30K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts