Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we already touched on the Activia and its "colorful" bugs.. but what about Dan Active? No bugs in there!<br><br>
I got some of this for after a recent surgery, when I would not be able to really eat "real" food. And I wanted a little "boost" to the digestive system ifyaknowwhatimean.<br><br>
They are tasty.. but do they really do any good?<br><br>
Are those little cultures really doing anything? How does it compare to regular yogurt?<br><br>
Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
tricia, the GI docs I work with say it's a gimick. Probiotics can be good, but not enough of it in those yogurts to do much. One of my favorite docs recommends two OTC Probiotic meds. I can't remember the name of one, but the other is Flora-Q.<br><br>
However, if your GI tract is healthy, then there's really no reason to go this route.

·
Registered
22,241 Posts
I did my Masters thesis work on probiotics and their effect on gastrointestinal bacteria. They certainly are not going to hurt you, but most products don't have enough live cultures to make any difference whatsoever and it is really dependent on what particular strain they used and your normal bacterial flora/genetics, etc. I remember seeing the Danactive booth at a conference once and I tried their product, but I have no idea what their bacterial counts are. They do, however, have some research to back up their claims (as most big companies do).<br><br>
Probiotics are really big in Europe and Japan, they have just taken a long time to catch on in the US. In fact, we are having a hard time getting a US journal to even publish our research (which was funded by a European company). For our first paper, we ended up getting it into a European Journal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts