Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Since I was doing 2 loops of IMOO I decided the 11x21 maybe wasn't the best (ok, last week I did it in 11x21 so I KNOW it wasn't a great plan) and I put on an old 12x27 I stole from my cyclocross bike.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2 issues</p>
<p>1. A little black round thing came out of the cyclocross bike wheel, somewhere and fell, somewhere - never to be found again. WTF? Maybe something from inside the skewer hole? It was not skewer or the springs on the skewer.  Do I need it? Is my cyclocross bike fooked? I have not tried to put another cassette on that bike yet, no time</p>
<p>2. I cannot get the 4th gear in (well really 3,4,5 but 4 is the worst) so shift right. I've turned the little plastic dial thing to adjust the derailler and all I manage to do is fook up other gears being able to shift and 4 sometimes is better but never perfect. Eventually I just coped - but it was a huge pain, I use that a lot apparently.  It doesn't shift properly on both big ring and little.  Is it worn out? Is it because my frame is bent just a tiny bit off perfect? (LBS bent it back, best he could) or am I just not doing it right?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm pretty proud I did the swap myself. WAY easier than I thought it would be. The instructions in Bike Zen used so many words I didn't know it might have well been greek. Finally found some youtube videos and watched a guy do it. Easy Sleazy. Now I can do this myself... except the shifting issue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have an Oly Sat with a big azz hill so was considering the 12x27 for that course, but not if I cannot make it shift right.</p>

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
<p>Was the thing that fell out a large black ring?  On my cogs the largest 4 or 5 gears are fused together.  The smaller gears (I mean the gears with fewer teeth) are individual rings with a black spacer between each gear.  If you lost one of those spacers, then two of your gears are going to be right up next to each other and yeah, it won't shift correctly.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would have think that you would have picked up on this, but just checking.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Mike</p>

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Nope it was a tiny thing. Maybe a little washer or something? round maybe? very small, under 1cm. I just saw it in a flash as it bounced down)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>the big round thing (lock ring I think) is silver in mine. There was surprisingly few parts... lock ring, 2 rings that come off, then the rest came off all together in one piece.</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>make sure the cogs don't wiggle from side to side with the lockring tight, some freehub bodies require the use of a thin spacer on the back side and the bike will not shift properly without it.  </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.