Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>After my first marathon in 2001 the boys expressed an interest in running with me.  They were 9 at the time.  One of them was all full of energy and sprints (he still is), the other was just pure grace.  I covetted his form, it was all balance and ease and flow and poise and I just knew he was a natural runner. </p>
<p><br>
Tigger once said that he has always been a runner, it just took running for him to realize that.  Deep.  Zen.  True.  But I never pushed either of them to run.  I didn't want it forced on them by an over-zealous Dad.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>This summer the boy came to me and asked me to run with him and then to devise a plan for him to follow to be able to run an hour comfortably.  I pointed him to the Couch to 5k and when we realized that it was a bit too easy I tweaked it.  He said that he liked running, but it does take some getting used to.  He's a comfort-seeking kid, always has been, but he seemed to take to the idea of running.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today on our family blog I found this:</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<h3 class="post-title entry-title"></h3>
<p><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Looking at the Clouds</strong></span></p>
<p> </p>
<div class="post-body entry-content">Went for a run this morning, despite the threats of rain - it was beautiful; cold, but beautiful. The wind was coming off the ocean, and while the sounds of the city just beginning to wake up were everywhere, it seemed strangely quiet amidst the golden light of early morning. I came down the hill, stumbling and huffing, a long three minutes into Cadboro Bay, a miniature Deep Cove on the edge of South-east Saanich. I passed Pepper's, Smuggler's Inn Pub, the Health Food Store, and onto the park - where, by the way, dormies of mine started a bonfire, popped open the beer, brought literally a third of the new residents down with them, including a substantial number of Brazilians who noone is really sure where they came from. They then quickly left before the Saanich PD had time to break it up.<br><br>
But I was talking about running - or university. Or life in general. Because right now, both seem to be filled with fits and starts, long, easy strides, or hard, difficult, short ones that seem to take every bit of muscle in your body and burn your lungs and leave you gasping with exhaustion. They both have rainy days (and there have been a few so far) and beautiful mornings. Running and life come together in strange ways, from what I can see; you're on hard earth, and you just can't wait for is sand underneath your shoes, but the moment you hit the beach, all you want is back on solid land. I came back up that hill from the Bay, huffing and puffing and kicking sand off my shoes, only to find a floor-mate waiting to hold the door open, in running gear. Remarking on this, he confided he was REALLY just waiting for Talitha from the 2nd floor, who had promised to wake him up that morning so she would have a running partner, but had, he guessed, "forgotten". He told me he couldn't wait for the look on her face when she came around the corner.<br><br>
There's a lot of corners here; I'm not sure at all what's behind most of them, and I'm finding out the hard way for most of them. Thankfully, there's also sunny mornings, bronzed clouds, and peaceful bays to make all the rest a little easier. One thing more - a double-masted sailing ship was anchored in the cove today - it made me think about journeys, and I couldn't keep my eyes off it the whole time I was running.<br><br>
Love, J.</div>
<div class="post-body entry-content"> </div>
<div class="post-body entry-content"> </div>
<div class="post-body entry-content">He's a runner!  It's just taken running to help him to realize it.</div>

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
<p>I thought I was reading something you may have written, Steve.</p>

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Oh but he is the writer...  he'll survive University no problem.  His Dad?  Maybe not.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.