Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave up the health club stuff in favor of running throughout the winter as I prefer to be outside and on the trails and forest roads. The lower forest roads are passable in running shoes but the trails and and upper roads aren't passable in shoes. I considered strapping my xcountry ski's on my back but it is just too awkward. I have noticed smaller sizes in snow shoes that looks like a person could manage a decent pace with them perhaps with poles while being easy to strap on the back while I am running to the trail head. Anyone do this? Am I nuts? I have heard of a sort of racing with poles and snowshoes and it seems a good way to maintain running conditioning where xcountry skiing seems to do nothing for my running with the exception of cardio. Anyone do this or know anything about it? Larry

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've taken to the snowshoes this year for the first time. Using LLBean hiking snowshoes and they're pretty easy to run in, even though they're heavy and cheaply made. You can easily get moving with a regular stride, though it is much slower and more exhausting. Awesome workout and pretty amazing how just a few miles literally melts the fat away.<br><br>
This link is comprehensive, persuasive:<br><a href="http://www.peak.com/snowshoe_manual.html" target="_blank">http://www.peak.com/snowshoe_manual.html</a>

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've had my snow shoes for several years...they are made for running, the back of the shoe is tapered so they don't hit as you run...they are Tubbs (Asymeterical)...they are very nice and gives you a very good workout if you push the pace!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks runinirish and corrade. Our local sports store Bob Wards is having a sell on snow shoes so looks like a good time to get started. Thanks for the link corrade, now I am inspired. I am going to do some more searches on the internet for this sport.<br><br>
Good Runs, Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts