Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>And that is exactly what I did this morning.  I ran the 1st annual Fryburg Mock Turtle race 5k this morning.  I nearly froze before I started my warmup as the temps were about 30° colder than they have been.  I ran a couple miles and did a few strides and was ready to go.  The race started and I was in 5th at a half mile.  Sizing up the field, I knew I had a good chance at that point.  I caught 3 runners before the mile (6:14) and was gaining on the leader.  I caught him a couple minutes later and it was me and the lead four wheeler as we made our way through a hilly campground.  I reached two miles in 12:31.  After going up a couple hills, it was mostly downhill to the finish where I passed 3 miles in 18:44 and finished in 19:21. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I didn't have to run really hard at the end so I am on the fence about running a 7k this evening.  If my foot hasn't been bothering me, I would definitely do it but I may just go and watch.  I am planning on spending the rest of the holiday with no plan other than drive up to Toledo to redeem a running store gift certificate and eat at Tony Packos.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
<p>Nice race, Rip!  Congrats on a good job.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My legs were leaden this morning but I ran a pokey 1.5 miles and walked another mile for w/u and c/d, then took 30 minutes of a yoga class before heading into work.  It's a beautiful, breezy day here and unfortunately I'll be at work all day, but at least it's giving me a chance to catch up on a lot of stuff that's been pushed to the bottom of the heap.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today is DS1's birthday.  He is 30 now.  How on earth did I get old enough to have a 30 year old child?  I had wanted to hold a small dinner party to celebrate but he's heading down to the city with his fiancee for a night of debauchery instead.  Good for him!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Susan</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
<p>Nice job Rip.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Susan, you adopted your DS1 when he was 20 right?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My LR this morning went okay, but it was too humid to really run well.  This was Marathon Pace day, so Miles 1 to 11 easy, then 6 miles at MP, 1 mile cool down.  The MP miles were run at:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>8:45</p>
<p>8:32</p>
<p>8:38</p>
<p>8:26</p>
<p>8:38</p>
<p>8:30</p>
<p> </p>
<p>These MP's were tough but I got through them okay.  The achilles is pretty wonky right this minute.  It does not like me running fast at all.  This will pass soon enough.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>18.25 miles altogether at 9:30 pace.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bill</p>

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
<p>Rip, the way you are running this year, you probably have gift certificates all over the State to redeem.  Well done.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bill, too bad you weren't in TX today.  What a morning, very cool, light breeze and sparkling sun, no humidity.  I ran just 3.3 easy pace on the dirt, just enough to break 50 for the week, my first of the summer. I would kill to have just one more month to train so that I could get in some LR's with some tempo miles embedded, but this was impossible to do here in July and August.  It is my one fear about my October 3 marathon that I won't have logged those quality MLR's.  Doing what I can.  Spareribs</p>

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
<p>Nice racing, rip.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good run, Bill.  <span style="font-size:10px;">I hope you know what you're doing.  Overuse injuries usually don't get better with use.</span></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Go Ribs!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>80 F</p>
<p>9 easy miles of hills</p>
<p>upper & lower body strength work</p>

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
<p>Quick hello during a break from library stuff...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I ran 3 miles in the dark this morning in Missoula and managed to take a fall on the bumpy sidewalk. I skinned up my knee pretty good, elbow, and rather jammed my right shoulder. Fortunately, my chin is just red and not bleeding. Ugh.  I fell just as I was thinking that I really should get off the sidewalk and back into the street.  A few ibuprofen and a couple of big bandaids from the hotel desk and life is good.  MrC ran a tough 10k this morning in a different city.  He did okay despite being slightly under the weather from too much fun the night before. :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Wishing everyone a nice long weekend. </p>

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
<p>Hi all....nice racing rip</p>
<p> </p>
<p>21 miles and change, slower than breger, started in the dark. Saw a beautiful crescent moon chasing Orion across the early morning sky. (Maybe the same thing choovie was looking at when she face planted). Slow first mile, as I had a hand held water bottle in each hand, a mag light wedged in between the bottle in my right hand and my palm, and another quart water bottle looped around one of my fingers in my left hand. That was ackward. Ended up doing the first mile or so in Napoleon Dynamite form™. Stashed the bottle behind a stump and ran 12 figure 8's on the ridge top, each one around 1.55 miles or thereabouts. Got new shoes the other day (Trabuco's), so this was the first run in them. I've usually had a pair of these in the shoe rotation for the last 8 years. They're the only shoe I've used which hasn't been changed (supposedly for the better) in that time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(((((choovie)))))</p>
<p> </p>
<p>((((matronly riley)))))</p>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
<p>Nice racing Rip. Nice poking Susan. Nice run Bll. Nice week Ribs.  Nice stealth advice, Mill.  Ouch, choovie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Today in Upstate NY, the weather is beautiful - no, wait a minute, now it's cloudy and blowing and - oh, it's beautiful again, and you can see - oh - now it's raining.  Perfect day for a run.  My son had a cross country race in Fonda, which is about 40 minutes west of Albany.  This was his first time running on Varsity, but he wasn't happy with how he ran.  But man was it tough terrain.  Out of the entire 5k, there probably weren't two level stretches that were 100 meters long.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When we got home, I took a run up to the HS to watch the school football team get off to a good start with a 21-0 win over a perennial arch-enemy.  Those are always fun to be on the right end of.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>5.25 miles up to the school, 2.5 miles back, 7.75 miles overall, averaging about 8:45/mile.  Happy with that.  Wasn't really a long run since I had a half of a football game in between sessions, but who's counting?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Brian</p>

·
Registered
746 Posts
<p>Saturdays are made for racing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I ran the Devil Dog 10K at Ft. Sill OK this morning, a good race with a good cause (raising money for displaced military families) put on by the USMC detachment at the base. A very good 10K for me this morning, I ran a new PR of 45:07, over 2 minutes off my previous best.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Paul</p>

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
<p>Has anyone seen my putting stroke?  I may have left it around here by accident....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Nice race Rip.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ribs, you'll do fine in that Oct cool.  Nice week's total.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Byll, is taper time coming soon?</p>

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
<p>Nice racing, boyz.  Paul, last week's low mileage made for fresh legs.  Well done!</p>
<p>BTY, isn't that exactly what a XC race should be?  All about fitness with a heaping helping of tactics on top.  I think XC is so cool and fun for the yoots.</p>
<p>Johnny, MOST excellent.  Byll, eeee, if it doesn't like speed, then why are you speeding?</p>
<p>Good hillage, mill.</p>
<p>HB to your DS, Susan.</p>
<p>Oh dear, Grace -- um, choovie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>MS picked me up at 7:30 so we could meet with the local club and run in the trails.  Somewhere around an hour, including a brisk cool down.  One wasp fartlek which netted one sting for me, some got up to four.  Most happy that MS's barky ankle enjoyed itself; no complaints.  Followed by breakfast where I gabbed with a fellow who is quite active in getting a top-to-bottom island trail network.  He wants to do more mountain trail running, so I think I may have lucked into the start of something good and fun for the fall/winter!</p>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
<p>Ouch, Choovie!  It's funny, when I was running (lurching slowly) on the dirt road, I was thinking how easy it would be to fall here.  I'm sorry you took the fall for me.  Hope you feel better quickly!  At the very least, you should use it for some sympathy cleaning by the men in your family.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Heal quickly,</p>
<p>Susan</p>

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
<p>just a quick check-in to see some very fast racing from our very fast runners! awesome! </p>
<p> </p>
<p>John, that's a great 21 miler there! So happy to see you running well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I went out for a 10 mile run this morning - well, it was more like late morning and already getting quite warm out. But it was good. Had to stop at a couple mini-marts along my route and refill my bottle with ice. About every 3 miles or so, my water became lukewarm. yuck. Then I looked back thru my running log and saw that I haven't run a double digit run since the marathon on 6/5. yikes. what a slacker summer I've had! My last mile was difficult, but I had been doing about 3-4 miles of rolling hills by the the time I got to my last 2 flat miles, so I was spent by then. tomorrow a.m. is a short hill training run with my son, dressed in football gear.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>this afternoon has pretty much been college football watching.</p>
<p>yay Ducks!</p>
<p>go Beavs!</p>
<p>go Huskies!</p>

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
<p>Hmmm, light day in KR land today. It was nice to see Skip on the August month totals thread. Sure hope he makes it back to the daily sometime. Same with dAAve. And dtoce.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Millbot, that's a good reminder for all of us. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Choovie... ouch! I was running in the dark on the sidewalk at Disney a couple years ago (conference stuff) and tripped on a sidewalk jag. That and the humidity sent me back to the fitness center treadmill.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Awesome run for Johnny today. Good for you on finding a shoe you like that does NOT change. That's one of my running pet peeves: just when you find a shoe you really like, they go and "new and improve" it to the point you can't use it. And I'll second Tamster on how nice it is to see you running so well.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Woohoo! Rip wins another one! Enjoy the gift certificate. I wish more races gave those instead of a t-shirt I don't need and a medal I can't use for anything.</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;">I had a pretty good run today. Ran the same hill run that I did a week ago Wednesday, and my splits were a little bit better (by seconds, but that's a big deal on this course) and the key thing is I didn't stop At. All. Took the walk breaks I always do, but fewer of them and shorter. Started slower than last time and maintained a pretty good pace with some nice sub-8's on the return trip. Added a little onto the end to get 15.3 for the day, that'll be this week's long run. Managed a 9:11 avg pace without thinking about pace much at all. Mantra for today was "keep moving!"</p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;"> </p>
<p style="color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:1em;margin-top:0em;margin-right:0em;margin-bottom:0em;margin-left:0em;">On the way home I picked up DS1 from his dorm and brought him with me. I called him and he sounded kind of down and blue, so thought some kitty cuddle time would be nice. He snuggled with Midnight for almost half an hour before rounding up some art supplies and other things he needed. Then he took the car to pick up DH and they were going to go shopping for dorm snacks and more supplies. I think a little kitty cuddle time is good for the soul. He seemed a little more chipper when he left. I miss that kid and it's only been a week... and he's on the same campus where I work!</p>

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
<p>I bet it's comforting knowing he's close by to where you work, Erika. And also that he's so close that it's easy to come home for a bit when needed.  I'm sure it's just as comforting to him, as you also.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We had some great carne asada tacos tonight. I've been cutting back quite a bit on my meat intake and eating the majority of my meals veggie, but my DH really is a master griller and this carne asada was about the best I've ever had. Grilled up some jalapenos, dug some onions out of the garden, had some fresh salsa I made yesterday and some avocado. oh my. delicioso!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I shall sleep with a happy tummy tonight and tired legs tonight.  Tomorrow is a training run with DS, in his football gear. About 1.5 mi with him and maybe another 3 or 4 for me.</p>

·
Registered
643 Posts
<p>Hey all -</p>
<p> </p>
<p>trying to post yesterday's run finally..  I thought I'd go out & try to run on the tight calves, just to test them out a little.  Plan was to run 2 miles in the hills or less, walk the 1 1/2 miles back.   But I was feeling good, so kept going after 2 miles,  ended up running 3.5 miles total, and  uhhh... I didn't plan that too well.  I was 3 miles from home, and almost all uphill.  My calves were feeling it by then so I walked the whole way.  Did LOTS of stretching when I got home.    </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Johnny - ooh nice run!!  so glad you're running so well :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Erika - ahh  on your DS, that is nice for both of you - that he's so close to home, and can get some TLC when needed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Tammy - yum!  usually we get our carne asada from a Mexican market in Socal that is to die for, and put on ice for the drive home! lol    well, old habits...  </p>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.