Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Good morning everyone.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did end up calling in 'sick' last night at work.  I honestly didnt do anything yesterday besides sleep.  This is the 1st 5k this year that I didnt work the night before.  So, i'm hoping it makes a difference.  Record # of pre-registered racers at this race this year.  Should end up being around 300+ runners, which is good for my sleepy lil town.  Found out last night that my Nephew, and Sister in law are both running it, plus a couple of my regular race buddies.  This was my PR race from last year (20:29), a number that I havn't came close to this year, so I'm not expecting to top that today.  Last year the weather was perfect, had a small cold from move thru the night before, like 70* at the start.  Looks like its gonna be about 80* today with humidity in the 80s also.</p>

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
<p>Morning...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>BBS - 3:13 am?  Hey, have a great time at your race this morning.  Other than the humidity sounds like a fun time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Been on the verge of too tired the last few days.  Not like before; just tired.  Probably will run but probably shouldn't.  Stay tuned.</p>

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
<p>Got up with my 5am alarm and decided to bag the 10k. I'm not very happy about that but it's probably for the good as I'd (a) get a crap time and be very pissed and (b) feel worse and miss my long run tomorrow.  Woe is me... my disaster of a racing season continues.  Anyway, I'm going to head out for some easy miles and stop by the gym for some light weights if I feel up to it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Dan</strong> - take it easy there</p>
<p><strong>BBS</strong> - good luck in the 5k.  Sub 20.</p>

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
<p>Good luck <strong>BBS</strong>!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>RA</strong>, long run trumps 10k. Sometimes we're on, sometimes we're off, we need to roll with the punches. You'll be thanking yourself tomorrow.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good morning <strong>vash</strong>.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>7.5 easy miles for me this beautiful morning. Perfect weather.</p>

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
<p>RA - Feel better.  You'll get in the swing</p>
<p>Jill - Good to hear you so energized again. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Clear morn with a temp of 47.  Yes, 47.  Felt good.  Did 33 min.  Supposed to be 30 but....Slow and easy and feel ok.</p>

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
<p>Good morning everyone.  I got out for 7.5 miles in 1:05:27(8:43).  The first 5 miles I was ready to call it quits and then I just started to get on a roll.  But at 7.35 miles we were done for the run. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>BBS-  Good luck on the 5k.</p>
<p>Dan-  Hope you enjoyed whatever you decided to do.</p>
<p>RA-  I hope you feel better.</p>
<p>Jill-  Looks like we were out for the same mileage today.</p>

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>Dan- heat may have you down a bit. Hope the run went well.<br><br>
RA- I'm right there with you on having a bad racing season. Hopefully it will only get better for us<br><br>
Jill- glad to hear someone is having some good weather! Maybe you need to share some!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kevin-  Nice job tuffin it out!<br><br>
Race over. I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like I paced better than I have been, but I felt like my 3rd mile was faster than what my watch showed.<br><br>
Mi 1 - 6:36<br>
mi 2- 6:57<br>
mi 3- 6:57<br>
last .1- 6:16<br>
total- 21:22<br><br>
tuff course, all rolling hills, no flats.Starts out downhill... now my quads are trashed.  I didn't have anyone around me towards the end to help push me. Plus it was hot and humid. I ended up 6th overall and 1st in AG. Nephew grabbed 1st in his AG, and a buddy of mine got 3rd in our AG.</p>

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
<p>Nice job out there everyone. Jill please send some your perfect weather a couple hours south. Please?<br><br>
The plan today was to go 18. Temp at the start was 80 but dew point was a boiling 72. I was soaked after 4 miles. When I got to 6.5 it was decision time. Turn left and go 18 or right for 14.5.<br><br>
I went right. Considering the water in my Camelbak ran out with 0.5 to go that was probably the correct decision. I still ended the week with 51 miles (taking off tomorrow) and I'm happy with that.<br><br>
Happy running all and nice racing BBS.</p>

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
<p>Nice race BBS. Weather can play a huge part in racing well, along with amount of rest. You did your best bud.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Way to go slogging through runs people, or enjoying gorgeous weather. I ended up driving home last night from the concert, but I had to stop about half an hour from home to sleep (a little before 5AM). Napped for 2 hours in a parking lot so I could make it to my last high school practice before heading back to college. Long run day at the nature preserve...temps in the mid 70s with humidity at 97%. Sweatfest being chased by horseflies, but in the first few steps I felt great so I opted on doing a nice hard effort run. I haven't felt this good many times this summer, so I wanted to take advantage of that. First 3 miles were measured in 6:53, 6:37, 6:20, and the last 5.5 at 6:11 pace. Total of 8.5 at 6:20 pace. Besides a 10 mile race I did in high school, this is probably the fastest, longest run I've done that I can recall. It's so nice to have one of those days where you can push the pedal down, and it feels better the faster you go. Good way to end my summer at home, although I guess I can run tomorrow before heading back again. ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Woo! Still a bit hyper and energized about how well things went. Have a great weekend folks!</p>

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<p>Hawk- Do you normaly use a camel back on long runs?  I never drink water during my long runs, but have never went over 13 on a training run, but I know I'll need to do something when ramping up for my marathon this winter.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Alex-  Dang, thats some smokin #'s, specially on 2 hours of sleep in a car!</p>

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
<p>Ran to the gym and back, the long way.  2 * 4.4 miles.  Humid as heck.  My usual half arsed upper body weight routine.  Felt pretty weak.   However, I think I'm in good shape for my 20 miler tomorrow.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>BBS</strong> - nice job on the hardware.  I'm still holding you to that sub 20.  I know you have it in you when the weather breaks.</p>
<p><strong>Alex</strong> - awesome run.  You're going to have a great season.</p>
<p><strong>Hawk</strong> - wise move</p>
<p><strong>kfuller</strong> - on most runs, I start to feel good after 5 or 6 miles.  Nice going.</p>
<p><strong>Dan</strong> - 47 in August?!  I'll repeat that.  47 in August?!</p>
<p><strong>Jill</strong> - perfect weather makes the miles fly by.</p>

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
<p>BBS - my general rule of thumb is to take a Camelbak with me for any run of 15 or more. Usually that is sufficient but today's conditions proved too much even for the Camelbak. I drained it completely plus I stopped midway at a community center and had a long drink from their water fountain. It was a tough day all right.<br><br>
Only down side of the Camelbak is when full it adds about 4 lbs of weight to you. But it's pretty vital to me anyway, esp at this time of year.</p>

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
<p>Flyby...  Drove to the race venue this afternoon.  Did a quick swim.  Meh... Just hoping not to be DFL out of the water.  Rode the run course.  Plan was to dry off.  Nope.  It ended up raining.  QUick change, then we drove the bike course.  The RD announced a route change on Thursday.  UG!!!  I had trained on the old course!  Course looks to be slightly more difficult.  We'll just have to see what happens.  I am concerned about making the bike cut-off...</p>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.