Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Gwinnett Police Department sponsors the S.W.A.T. Trot 5k race each June at Brookwood High School in Snellville, Georgia (just outside Atlanta for those of you who don't know the area). It is one of the very few evening races I'm aware of in the summer. The 1 mile fun run was at 7:30pm with the 5k starting at 8:00pm.<br><br>
Weather was nice considering the heat and humidity of the day. Just before start time the humidity seemed to die down and a slight breeze was blowing as the sun was setting. Temps were in the middle 80's.<br><br>
The course goes in front of Brookwood High School and then into a subdivision where the majority of the course is ran before returning to the main road and finishing up at the High School. The course is reasonably flat for Atlanta. There are a few inclines but very mild and nothing that should slow a runner down.<br><br>
The race started right at 8:00 with about 125-145 runners. From mile 1 all the way to the last 100 yards no one passed me. However, two runners got by me in the last few feet leading up to the finish chute. Other than that I was happy with my performance. No PR but not my worst either. My time was 24:42 which is just under an 8 minute pace which is also within 10 seconds of my average pace for a 5k. However, had I simply did my average I would have been runner number 51 instead of number 53. Gotta work on my tempo runs to get my miles into the 7:30 range so I don't get passed in the final moments.<br><br>
But the race was enjoyable and well worth local runners support. It would be nice if during the summer months a few other races would switch to the evenings.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
I ran this too, though no luck spotting GRR. It was bright, so I spent most the time before the race looking down (sun hurts my eyes)<br><br>
Race had, as GRR stated a 1K tot trot -- it was fun to see all the little kids. Thought the 1K distance was a pretty cool difference, too.<br><br>
Weather.com had the temps at 87F and 39% humidity, sunny-- not bad. Still felt it.<br><br>
I had done 10 miles this morning at Stone Mountain at 10:21 pace.<br><br>
I hadn't expected to be that tired after that, but apparantly I was--- this was my slowest 5K in time memorable --- 30:53 -- a minute per mile slower than I can do a 5K in, and 40-45 seconds per mile slower than my "normal" 5K pace.. I was so embarrassed crossing the line in over 30 minutes... especially on a course that by all rights could be considered a PR course; but, I did what I could and my legs simply were not cooperating for any better.<br><br>
Saw a woman running with her ~7 year old daughter. The daughter was complaining and started crying because she wanted to stop, and the mother said, "You can finish miserable or you can finish happy, but you have to finish. Crying just makes it worse." I kept my mouth shut... though I feel like a child that young shouldn't be forced to run when she doesn't want to--- she could have done the 1K, dunno why she was in the 5. Of course, I don't know details there.<br><br>
Still, this race was at my old high school... I needed to make an appearance. Felt weird being in there again.<br><br>
Got a neat trophy for female first place 20-24.<br>
The shirts were cool.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Nice Races to both of you.<br><br>
I still prefer morning races in the summer since usually the weather is cooler after the darkness. I have a night time 5K that will probably kick me on my butt next Saturdy night.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Heather, had I known you were there I would have looked for you. I left as soon as I turned in my card.<br><br>
I did a 10k training run earlier in the morning over at John's Creek closer to tempo pace rather than training and maybe that caused me to struggle with the 8 minute miles in the race. I felt like my first two miles were ok, but I know I struggled on the 3rd one and I'm not sure why. My splits were pretty even.<br><br>
I remember the woman and the daughter. I passed them very early and the child even then was struggling and by the mother's tone of her comments I had the impression the mother was not pleased. I wondered what she thought she was accomplishing. This child is going to hate races, if not running in general.<br><br>
And I'll agree with you about the course being a PR course which is also what really irritated me allowing the two runners to pass me in the last few yards. I'm still steamed about that this morning. Perhaps next year I'll have my act together and get the PR.<br><br>
Brookwood High School always impresses me with it's athletic facilities.<br><br>
Congrats on the first place finish and trophy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts