Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned today i am faster outside like an 11 min pace, than on a treadmill 13.20-13.50 pace. So why is that?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Because running outside involves beauty, and is way more fun! No, that's probably not it. Maybe you're not tied to a certain pace while running outside, you can do whatever you want. One question, though: How did you measure the run?

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used a nike+ for the timing. The halfmarathon running group leaders marked the course<br>
it was a 3 miler and i finished in just under 33 minutes.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
It is possible that the dreadmill is not accurate. Also, when I run on a mill, a perceived rate of effort is alwasy high, though HR says otherwise. I really don't pay attention to the speed on a mill. Just a time and HR.<br>
Good job, Eric!! Isn't it much better to run outside?!? Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yo sake<br><br>
i like the running outside better.My goal for this year is to run all the long runs outside and the weekly runs inside,thats just because i don't want to run outside at 5 am around a bunch of commuters.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Great work! Running with a group can often help as well - you're not focused on your misery. I love running outside, and ran on the dreadmill once last year - there was thunder and lightning outside, and my wife wouldn't let me go outside to play.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When you have air going by you it keeps you cooler. I've noticed I can't go as hard on a treadmill and I sweat my arse off. I doubt it helps 2 minutes worth per mile.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Eric - I would have to agree. I am faster outside than I am on a treadmill. I think a lot of it is from both the TM being boring and not calibrated properly and also the outside takes your mind off what you are doing. A lot more to look at while outdoors.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Hmmmm......<br>
interesting.....<br><br>
I find that I can run faster on the TM because it forces me to keep my legs moving at a consistent pace. But then, I've almost always been the outlier in these sorts of things.<br><br>
Now, I can run LONGER when outside....fresh air, a bit cooler, etc. But typically not faster.<br><br>
Go figure.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Me too. It's possible the course was measured wrong, but I know for me I am faster outside or even just on a track than I am in the dreadmill for the same HR

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
you could be running on a grade on the treadmill. Just because your treadmill says 1 or 2%...your house may have an extra 1 or 2%. Last year I thought I was running at 2% on my treadmill. I had the company come and look at it because it really seemed alot harder. Found out the treadmill had an internal setting of .4% on top of the 2% and then I found where the treadmill is in my basement was an extra 1%....so I was running at 3.4% grade. No wonder I tore my soleus. I don't trust what the treadmill screens say anymore, I take a level to any treadmill on run on. (my geometry is bad so I asked some smarty on another site to figure out how degrees convert to %grade for me)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
if you run at 0 you're running downhill, so you should be faster on the treadmill, especially at slower paces. At 8.0 at 1% is about even, at 0% any speed, it's downhill. The grade is more exaggerated at slower speeds

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Yes...<br>
I usually have the incline at 1.0.......that's 1% right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Eric- My guess is that it was the company. It sounds like you were running with others, right? I tend to go a bit faster when with faster runners, and may not even notice. Just the adrenaline of it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jen<br><br>
we started out as a group then the speed demons left us, then the bopers fell back ,by the 1 mile mark it was only me and my thoughts, which for today was just telling myself not to pull the ipod out and to keep running.<br><br>
On the treadmill i have had it at a 1.5 incline and so maybe that is the difference.<br>
Next saturday they are gonna teach us how to run hills.The good thing is i will learn a running route with hills on it, so i can drive there from now on. I will also be able to take my bike there and finnally get to shift my gears.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The times I have been on a treadmill (business trips in winter to prevent having to bring an extra suitcase full of warm clothes) it seems like the TM is slower on the screen than I feel I am running. For a normal aimless run in the 3-5 mile length I am generally in the 8 - 8:20 range, but on the mill when I am cruising at my normal PE speed it is almost always about a minute per mile slower. I just ignore it. I have some doubts about TM running anyway, but they are a great tool to ohave around for weather, schedule, etc. problems.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I am ALWAYS slower on the TM than outside--it frustrates me a lot to be so slow on the TM (but I gotta do what I gotta do sometimes)--for me, its because I go go faster when I feel like it, and slow down when I feel like it--so I end up with an overall faster pace outside------and the TM is just so dang boring!

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Initially, I was faster on the TM. As I got more proficient at running, the opposite became true. Not sure if that's the natural progression of things or if everyone's just a little different

1 - 18 of 18 Posts