Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you run on trails that are inhabited by cougars or mountain lions? I do, and now that it gets lighter later, I haven't run trails in the morning. My understanding is that these big cats hunt just before and during dawn and dusk.<br><br>
Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
None, for some reason in this area there have been virtually no violent kitty/human encounters, despite lots of opportunity. CA, CO, and MT supposedly have much more of a history. I've always wondered why that is.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've had a number of encounters in this area, and 2 years ago a mountain biker was attacked by a mountain lion along a trail that I used to frequent. The cat was protecting the carcass of a biker that she had killed the day before. And just a month ago they shot another big cat that was showing no signs of human fear.<br><br>
I don't know why it is. Space could be a possibility. Development has happened rapidly in this area and we've invaded old hunting grounds, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
The only cat encounters we get around here tend to be with small children...adult attacks are extremely rare.<br>
From what I heard about the mountainbiker attack was that the biker was hunched over to fix a flat & may have appeared smaller than adult size.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I think populations are up as a result of the bans on hunting with dogs. There are definitely more urban sightings around here.<br><br>
Pretty much all of my trail running is done in mtn lion and bear territory. I just don't think about it much. I just try to stay alert. There is so much game and berries here that I wouldn't think a healthy human would be an attractive meal.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you avoid running in the dark? I've avoided running trails in the morning when it's still dark. Do you run trails in the dark (or with the aide of a headlamp)?<br><br>
When it's fully lit with sunshine, I don't much think about the possibility of a mountain lion encounter. But when it's still too early for the sunshine...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts