Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so is this like the CH and I'm going to get tortured for saying the "r" word? I don't know if I should post this here.<br><br>
I have had ITBS for a long time. I've gone to therapy and been doing strength training and stretches. Although, I'm not using my foam roller. I'm not so much into that kind of torture.<br><br>
I am dying without running. I am irritable, moody and I growl at those I see running on the side of the road. I <i>used</i> to cheer them on. Now, I'm just pissed and jealous that they are out there and I'm not.<br><br>
I want to start running again, but I'm scared to death to do it. I wonder if I need to walk first, then build up like doing the C25k or something like it. I KNOW that I will have a hard time with only running for 90 seconds. My mind will be like "I've ran a HM, why can I only run 90 seconds?" But, if the smahty pants tell me to do C25k then I will do it.<br><br>
I just want to be able to run. I've thought a lot about it over the last year and a half and I would rather run 2 miles and feel good than not run at all. I'd love to get back to HM miles, but we'll see. I guess I'm at a point where I feel like there is no hope and I'll never run again, not even a 5k. Is there light at the end of the tunnel that everyone else can see, but that I cannot?

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Solitude - I can only speak from my own experiences, but I've had ITBS bouts in both legs over the last year.<br><br>
Barring any anatomical issues, there may be some knots in there that need breaking up by now. I know it hurts like the dickens, but the foam roller has been a staple for me. I've had to resort to some tougher measures at times, though (like ART therapy, which can hurt even more.)<br><br>
I know some people have had their issues helped out with the right shoes and/or orthotics. Others (including me) have been helped out a lot with things like yoga.<br><br>
I'd walk first myself - I had no knowledge of C25K when I started playing with the idea of running. I got to walking 3 miles, and then threw in short intervals of running within that distance. Perhaps that slow buildup over a fairly lengthy period of time can mitigate any ITB issues you might have?<br><br>
Regardless of what you try, I wish you the best

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I'll echo the comment about rolling; or deep tissue massage. Bite the bullet.<br><br>
I'm frequently managing a running injury or two, but I refuse to stop training. My staple is high angle treadmill walking. At 12% grade, walking is as much effort as running.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
if you just sit around, it ain't gonna get better. Use the foam roller at least once a day, get s good professional massage from a therapist who does therapeutic massage (not a fru fru spa massage). Stretch a lot and make sure you are in the right shoes and change them often.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was doing PT, then switched to a chiro who does ART. I get a massage maybe once a month from a sports therapist. I have The Stick that I use myslef. I wear good shoes and rotate them. When I was running almost daily I had two pairs of shoes that I switched in between so that there was more time to bounce back.<br><br>
I don't use the foam roller because it hurts so bad. I don't see how something that feels like that is helpful. I try to relax while I do it, to relax all the muscles, but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe I just need to bite that bullet, like Hippo said.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
Aw, try again with the roller. It should become less painful as time goes on.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Solitude, I know exactly the feeling you're describing. The feeling you may never run again. I ran my first 10 miler last year and had a serious torn tendon as a result (been building up). I was put in a boot and off running for the entire Fall. The most beautiful time to run in GA! I would literally be at stop lights and start crying when I saw people out running past my car. It was awful. I started to believe that I would never be able to run again. At all. It was terrible.<br><br>
BUT. Jan 1st I went out for my first trial. When I took those first running steps, I felt relief! As in, I can run! I felt alive again! That feeling can't be beat and I'll never forget it!! Before the injury, I would run that trail for 6+ miles. I didn't make it to .25 till I had to walk/breathe. I think I did a total of about 1.5 miles walking/running that day. The next time, I was able to go a little farther. I got up to about 2 miles for a couple of weeks (still walk/run) then decided I wanted to run 2 miles completely before I went any farther. I just ran as much as I could (set goals...like to that tree/bridge/mile post...) and walked if I absolutely had to. I ran my first 5K at the beginning of Feb. It wasn't a PR, but I did it!<br><br>
You WILL run again! It will happen!! And when you do, it will be amazing! The one thing I did, though, was follow all recoup instructions from the Dr. I was so impatient, but I did as I was told and a year later I'm fine! Don't let those thoughts get to you. I know that no other amount of another exercise can substitute. I ellipticalled my ass off, but still felt like something was missing. Have faith!<br><br>
Beth

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Use the foam roller !<br><br>
Also try and pinpoint why the problem is occuring - the foam roller does not fix the original problem. Likely weakness in a supporting muscle area - Try to figure it out and strengthen the weak link.

·
Registered
21,889 Posts
Dude! I'm going to a PT and have exercises that are designed to work the weaker muscles and help fix the cause of my ITBS. I think it's working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts