Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Is there any accepted wisdom on whether to run the day before a race? My target race is this Saturday. My normal training schedule has had Friday as a day off, but this week I had considered taking Thursday off and running easy on Friday. Any advice?</p>

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
<p>I think it varies from person to person, based on:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1) the runner's routine over time</p>
<p>2) the nature of the race (goal race, part of a training cycle, or done just for fun)</p>
<p>3) distance of the race (HM or longer I'll plan it out more carefully than anything shorter)</p>
<p>4) other extraneous factors (travel logistics and/or time, physical condition going into the race (are you battling illnesses, injuries, or going through a hectic workweek, etc.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe if you post more details, people can chime in on what they'd do</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks. I'm running a 5K, so I've focused on speed this year. My mileage peaked at around 30 miles with the longest run being 11 miles, with Mondays and Fridays off. Every week I have been doing speedwork, and the second portion of my workout has included tapering and a bit more emphasis on speedwork. This week I ran speedwork yesterday and have a 5 mile and 3 mile run left.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I haven't battled any injuries other than the occasional shin splints, and I feel like I'll be fully ready on Saturday without any soreness or anything. Been getting plenty of rest. So is not too big of a deal then which day I run last?</p>

·
Registered
125 Posts
<p>From personal experience, I like to run short the day before, with a couple of repeats at race pace, just to (1) remind myself of what it feels like, and (2) keep a little snap in my legs.  By short, I mean about 1/2 the distance of my normal midweek run.  If it is a goal race, or I'm aiming for a PR, I usually take a rest day two days before.  So, for my half marathon on Saturday, I'll take tomorrow (Thursday) off, run 3 miles on Friday (1/2 my normal 6) with 4-5 strides at Half-marathon pace, with plenty of recovery after each.  Not an anaerobic workout, just to get the legs going.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Your mileage may vary, but I find the shorter run with a few pickups the day before doesn't do anything to tire me out, and helps keep a little energy in my legs.  Of course, it could be all in my head ;-)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Steve</p>

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
<p>I don't typically have 5Ks as goal races (I hate the shorter, faster distances myself) so what swallen advises is probably a good a baseline as any to start.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Whatever you do, remember what you did going into the race - if something goes awry, do your best to figure out if anything pre-race had anything to do with the less-than-expectation performance and adjust from there in future events.  And oh yeah, good luck!</p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thanks for the good advice. I probably will end up doing that--doing my last run the morning before, and running a couple of repeats. That will let me try one last time to hit pace. My problem this year is being in good enough shape that I want to go faster, just because it feels like I can. If I end up doing that on race day, the risk is running out of steam and trying to make enough of a pace adjustment without stopping to recover a little. Hopefully I can pace the first half well when the lungs haven't started heaving yet.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.