Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Our local bike club has designated this weekend as the club championships, so I figured I'd jump in since a club race isn't really bike racing in my skewed world view and well I quit bike racing and all that.  Small field of a couple dozen 1,2,3 category riders today, our club seems to have a lot more cat 4-5 riders and has made a change this year so the 1-3's race together, which has been a little stultifying with the small groups.  In any event, our race was a rolling, hot and windy 54 miles.  i had one team mate and we made a decision to make sure we had one rider in any promising move and the other would then counter attack if the move got caught, pretty bread and butter kind of strategy.  There is one other strong team with three guys and a hapless team with out 8, we are more focused on the smaller team.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I go solo on the first of 6 laps and my team mate bridges with another guy, we work together ok, but after a few miles we get pegged back and respond to some counter attacks and roll into the second lap climbs even up on the road.  I tell my team mate to attack prior to the climb and he gets away clean, a few riders bridge but the one other team is not represented, so I watch them, finally they get a guy across but leave their strong man jay at the front riding tempo, we are shoulder to shoulder up the climb, he just shrugs and I say "hows the van running" and we ride at the front steady while our two guys get established.  After 10 minutes, his guy is popped off the break, which is now my team mate and another guy, then three guys off that group.  I know that now jay has to go as their team is out of contention so we both filter back in the group.  Finally he lets loose a 35 mph attack and I try to match but can't, as is typical for my tugboat physiology, I'm now bludering away alone just off the group I need to be in, with the pack back a ways.  I can just feel the mighty diesel engine throbbing under the floorboards while I watch the group slowly grow smaller.  Drat.  After struggling alone for a while, 4 guys bridge and we are sitting 100m behind the second group on the road.  We all rotate through but the gaps stays the same. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>With three laps to go, all the riders in the group ahead of up suddenly sit up and head for the parking lot.  Why is beyond me. Maybe they were just sick of riding in a club race out in the sun.   We now have three riders and are in places 3-5 on the road with two to go.  Everyone is kind of pooped.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>On the last lap, I manage to ride off the front on the first climb and say to heck with it and put my head down and just drill it.  I look back from time to time but I'm all alone, so I just ride off the remaining 5 miles and finish thrid.  My team mate manages second perhaps due to being a bone head in the closing k's but I wasn't there.  it was good to ride with the boys and seems like my training is on track fro cyclocross or whatever i do these days.</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.