Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I made it through another week of the Pftizinger/Douglas 18 week/Up to 70 miles per week program. This week was tough, but I did get through it, and I hit the mileage goal.<br><br>
The plan called for this:<br><br><b>Monday:</b> Rest or cross training.<br><b>Tuesday:</b> General aerobic + speed. 9 mi with 10x100m strides.<br><b>Wednesday:</b> Medium long run. 14 miles.<br><b>Thursday:</b> Recovery run. 5 miles.<br><b>Friday:</b> Medium long run. 11 miles.<br><b>Saturday:</b> Recovery run. 5 miles.<br><b>Sunday:</b> Long run. 18 miles.<br><br><b>Total miles:</b> 62 miles.<br><br>
What I actually did:<br><br><b>Monday:</b> My other exercise routine (a lot of abs work).<br><b>Tuesday:</b> 9 miles. I did 4 miles, then did 10x100m strides with 100m recoveries after each stride. Once I did the strides and recoveries, I finished off the 9 miles. Pace was about 7:30 overall (including the strides). This was done on the high school track.<br><b>Wednesday:</b> 14 miles on the Merrimack River trail. For those familiar with the trail, I ran the 5 miles out, ran through the hilly section back to the mile 3 mark. I then ran back out to the 5 mile mark (ie, I repeated the hilly part of the trail). Then I finished it off with the 5 miles back to the start.<br><b>Thursday:</b> 5 mile recovery run. On pavement. Also the other exercise routine.<br><b>Friday:</b> 11 miles on the Merrimack River trail. For those familiar with the trail, I did the 5 miles out and the 5 miles back, then added on from the Wyndham Hotel trailhead out to the boathouse and back.<br><b>Saturday:</b> 5 mile recovery run. On pavement. Also, a slightly shortened version of my other exercise routine.<br><b>Sunday:</b> 18.6 mile long run. On pavement.<br><br><b>Total Mileage:</b> 62.6 miles.<br><b>Miles on trails:</b> 25 miles.<br><br>
It was a hard week, but I expected that. The track workout was pretty though. The 14 mile trail run was very hard. The legs were tired after the track workout. Add to that I repeated the hardest section of the trail (and those familiar with the trail will back me on saying that it is a tough section of the trail), and it was tough. Thursday's recovery run was much needed and I took it easy. Friday and Saturday were hot. I struggled on Friday, but got through it, knowing full well that the heat was causing the problem. Saturday I did okay, but I took it very easy.<br><br>
Today's long run was great for about 15 miles, and a real struggle for the for the final 3.6 miles, however, it was about 10 seconds per mile faster than I was planning on, so that's definitely a positive.<br><br>
This week is going to be tougher. The plan this week calls for 65 miles. The plan is:<br><br><b>Monday</b>: Other exercise routine.<br><b>Tuesday</b>: LT run. 9 mi with 4 mi @ 15K to 1/2 marathon pace.<br><b>Wednesday</b>: Medium-long run. 14 mi on the trail. I'll probably do what I did last week, run the 10 mile trail run with a repeat on mile 3-7.<br><b>Thursday</b>: Recovery 5 miles. Other exercise routine.<br><b>Friday</b>: Medium-long run. 12 mi on the trail. I haven't decided what section of the trail I'll repeat yet. It might depend on how the legs feel...if they feel good, I'll repeat mile 3 to 4 and 4 to 3.<br><b>Saturday</b>: Recovery 5 miles. Other exercise routine.<br><b>Sunday</b> : Long run. 20 miles. This will depend a lot on where I am. If I am home, I'll do a double pass on the trail. I might head up to the family cottage. If so, it will be on pavement.<br><br>
Plan for this week: 65 miles.<br><br>
Cross your fingers for me folks. I might need it this week.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Make sure you do<br>
Wed<br>
Thu<br>
Sat<br>
Slow even if you feel good - You legs will start paying the price if you run too fast.<br><br>
This is what killed me in daniels program I ran 15-30 seconds a mile too fast on recovery or easy days and I smoked myself by 10 - 12 weeks into the program. Fatigue has a funny way of accumulating as the weeks go on.<br><br>
I know I sound like a broken record - sorry<br><br>
I think its great that you are trying this program - a break from the old routines - I'm routing for you!

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Go EQ!!!! You're doing well still and even a little extra on that long rice...nice touch.<br><br>
Keep up the good work.<br><br>
Alex

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Flounder and Alex.<br><br>
Flounder, I made a conscious effort today to hold it back on the trail. I still ended up with a HR quite high and feeling very tired at the end of the 14 miles (of course, according to USATF.org the 5m out has about 630 feet of elevation chance, so the 5m back also has 630 feet of elevation change. Plus I did the repeat on the hilly parts, probably 600 feet out and 600 feet back during the repeat. So I'm guessing there's probably about 2400 feet of elevation change...mainly in short steep climbs and descents).<br><br>
Tomorrow's recovery effort, I'll try to keep the HR at or below 150. Nice and easy.<br><br>
Friday's another trail day. Only this time I'll probably do the repeat on mile 2-3 and then back to 2 (a flat section).<br><br>
Saturday I'll take the recovery easy.<br><br>
Sunday's 20 miler could be tough. If I'm at my parent's cottage (and there's a decent chance of that), the terrain is very hilly.<br><br>
If I get through this week, next week is a cut back/recovery week. That'll be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts