Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<b>Moderator:</b> Feel free to move this if you feel it belongs somewhere else.<br><br>
As most of you know, this past week I started the Pfitzinger/Douglas 18 week 70 mile max in a week program as a training program for the Equinox. One week in, and I'm hear to tell you, it is definitely intense.<br><br>
Monday I did cross training, a lot of abs work.<br>
Tuesday I did 8 miles on the track with 10x100m stride-outs.<br>
Wednesday I did 11 miles on the Merrimack River trail.<br>
Thursday I did 5 recovery miles on my home 5 mile loop.<br>
Friday I was scheduled to do 9 miles, but did the 10 mile course for the Merrimack River Trail race.<br>
Saturday I did 5 recovery miles on my home 5 mile loop.<br>
Sunday I did 15.2 miles on pavement on my normal 15.2 mile loop at home.<br><br>
54.2 miles. Plan called for 53. 21 miles on trails.<br><br>
So far, no signs of trouble other than a little bit of stiffness/soreness below the left kneecap. That, I'm pretty sure, is being caused by worn out running shoes (my Wave Rider 9's have over 400 miles on them. New shoes are arriving via UPS on Monday). Legs are a little bit tired (I guess that's to be expected).<br><br>
Thank you for all the support so far folks. It's going to be a tough one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
equinox, the keys to a successful marathon training program like Pfitz's are these:<br><br>
1) REST!!! In my opinion, there is nothing more important than doing your best to get to bed at a reasonable hour in hopes of being able to get at least 8 hours of sleep every single night. Your body recovers much better when it is getting all of the sleep that it needs.<br><br>
2) Protein. Make sure that you are getting lots of protein. This is invaluable for allowing your muscles to recover quickly and be able to take the next step in intensity level as you work through the 18-week schedule.<br><br>
3) Recovery weeks. My three points all involve recovery...imagine that. Pfitz does a great job of including recovery weeks in his schedule. DO NOT IGNORE THESE! When he calls for cutbacks...DO IT! I don't care how good you feel, follow the schedule when it comes to these weeks as it gives the legs a chance to recharge.<br><br>
It's all about recovery, in my humble opinion. Good job this week! One down, seventeen to go.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
the 1st 3 years - I always liked to fool myself. T-Pace maybe was 6:20, but I would run 6:15 or 6:12. I also ran recovery and easy runs way too fast. It gives you some confidence, but wears you out and week after week on a plan likes Pfitz 18/70 it will break you in 2.<br><br>
Its a great plan - Train hard EQ, just be honest with yourself what your current paces are and even if you feel good, run the right pace of the day. I believe that you are headed for a great improvement. Good running on your journey.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Good luck EQ - I'm going to use the 18/70 for Cal Intl (CIM) in early December - I think I start in late July - I'm just trying to ramp the miles between now and then - I figure if that plan can't get me to Boston, then nothing can

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
I found the miles a bit hard to fit in during the winter, particularly at 4:30 in the morning. Wife was commenting today on how tired I was. I guess I didn't hide it well.<br><br>
Kevin, rest is the key to the equation. That means early bed. That means sacrificing the all night poker games. Sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts