Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">My brother dismounted his road bike rear wheel to change a tire/tube or something. He didn’t do anything to the derailleur and/or shifting components. But now, after remounting the wheel, his shifting is a bit out of whack. He said it still shifts but it’s just not a good, crisp shift. Everything is cleaned and lubed. Any ideas?</span></span><br><br><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';"><span style="font-size:medium;">Dan</span></span>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
twist the barrel adjuster a little? Maybe the wheel isn't straight in the dropouts or the cable housing popped out of the mounting lugs somewhere along the line.<br><br>
Sure he didn't bend the hanger?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He might have bent it, but I doubt it. I do know that he has a nice Park Tool maintenance stand so it was probably up on that when dismounted/mounted the wheel. I'm going to tell him to check that the wheel is straight in the dropouts.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
you can use your fingers as a guage or just eyeball it from straight behind.<br><br>
If he has a stand, have someone shift from gear to gear and look at the derailer from behind and observe how the chain rolls off the top jockey pully and onto the sprocket, you can see if the alignment and cable tension are correct pretty clearly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's just it. He said that it shifts properly when it's up on the stand. Only when he's riding it and the drive chain is under tension that the shifting becomes suspect.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A lot of shifting problems are caused by a bent or 'stiff' link in the chain. This can usually be identified by putting the bike on the stand (or upside down) and slowly turn the cranks with your hand while watching the chain run through the pulleys.<br><br>
If a link is bent or stiff you should see it hop up slightly as it runs over the pulley.<br><br>
Park Tools has a helpful <a href="http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64" target="_blank">website</a> with lots of repair tips.<br><br>
Chances are though that he just didn't put the wheel back into the dropouts correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts