Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this doesn't end up getting posted twice. I just typed a post and then when I went to submit it, it said I was logged out.<br><br>
Anyway, my question was, do some of you more experienced runners ever find yourselves having to make an effort to get motivated to run (like I do about going to the gym), or do you have a NEED to run, and that in itself motivates you?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My racing days are well and truly over but I still NEED to run. Apart from injury I have rarely missed a day in 45 years.<br>
Sometimes, (rarely) it can feel like the tail waging the dog and the hardest thing to do is put the shoes on, but once your out the door the endorphins kick in and all is well with the world.

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
It definitely changed over time for me. (I've been running about 3 years, so I wouldn't call myself experienced, but here is my answer anyway.)<br><br>
At first it was a "have to" sort of thing. Uncomfortable, sweaty, hard work!<br><br>
Then I started to feel the benefits of stress reduction and the pleasure of running and the solitude and time to think and decompress.<br><br>
Then when I had to take time off of running for a surgery, I got all depressed, and realized how much I needed to run.<br><br>
Now I usually look forward to my runs. On my rest days, I feel jealous when I see all the other happy runners around town. My reaction to good weather or a beautiful location is becoming "Wouldn't this be a nice day/nice place for a run?"<br><br>
There are still occasions when I don't want to run, though, and I have to make a real effort to get my butt out the door. And I've learned that when I'm cranky or sad or lethargic, sometimes a run is the best thing for me. And I hardly ever regret having gone for a run, even if I didn't quite want to beforehand.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Kind of what altoids said. I still have some motivation problems occasionally, but I remember how great I feel when I get out there. No, that's not exactly right either. Often I am in the middle of a run thinking, "I hope this is over soon." But I always feel awesome when I've completed a run, and that motivates me.<br><br>
Once you do it regularly and for long enough, it ceases to be about motivation, imo. It becomes routine, and you less often think about whether you want to or don't want to go out and run. You just do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts