Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is the place to ask...<br><br>
So I've started my half marathon training. I do my long runs on Saturday with my group. I'm with a group that is, in theory, similarly paced. We are in the sub 2:30, just finish group.<br><br>
So last week our long run was 45 minutes, which they are saying came out to right at 4 miles. I was really dragging at the end, and I walked some. That pace might be a touch fast for me, as I'm pretty solidly a 12 minute miler, especially on longer runs.<br><br>
So this week we are doing 55 minutes, which I'm assuming will get us right under 5 miles. I have never ever run 5 miles in less than an hour. I don't want to be the big fat loser at the back who everyone has to wait on, but I also don't feel like I'm training myself well if I push too hard on my long run and end up having to walk quite a bit at the end.<br><br>
I know I can do the distance. Last week the distance wasn't the problem. I ran for 45-50 minutes twice this week with no troubles, and one of those was even an interval run. Maybe I was just tired last week or something...<br><br>
So I guess my question is if I should try to push myself to keep up with them on the long run, or just go a little slower so I can run the whole way. I was also considering short walk breaks every 10 minutes or so.<br><br>
Help!

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have already paid for the group training, so I'm sticking it out.<br><br>
But, I will talk to my coach about my pacing issues. There were a few others who seemed to have similar problems in the group, so perhaps we'll kind of form our own subgroup. I may actually say something as our group gets ready to start about going a touch slower, and if anyone wants to join me, etc...<br><br>
I'm glad to hear that I'm not just being a wimp. I was surprised at how crappy I felt at the end.<br><br>
I'm also working on a better eating plan before running. Our group runs start at 8:00 am, and a half a banana was not enough. That's what I eat before I run at 5:00 (if I eat anything), but apparently I need a little more by 8:00!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts