Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is the place to ask...<br><br>
So I've started my half marathon training. I do my long runs on Saturday with my group. I'm with a group that is, in theory, similarly paced. We are in the sub 2:30, just finish group.<br><br>
So last week our long run was 45 minutes, which they are saying came out to right at 4 miles. I was really dragging at the end, and I walked some. That pace might be a touch fast for me, as I'm pretty solidly a 12 minute miler, especially on longer runs.<br><br>
So this week we are doing 55 minutes, which I'm assuming will get us right under 5 miles. I have never ever run 5 miles in less than an hour. I don't want to be the big fat loser at the back who everyone has to wait on, but I also don't feel like I'm training myself well if I push too hard on my long run and end up having to walk quite a bit at the end.<br><br>
I know I can do the distance. Last week the distance wasn't the problem. I ran for 45-50 minutes twice this week with no troubles, and one of those was even an interval run. Maybe I was just tired last week or something...<br><br>
So I guess my question is if I should try to push myself to keep up with them on the long run, or just go a little slower so I can run the whole way. I was also considering short walk breaks every 10 minutes or so.<br><br>
Help!

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
To do a 2:30 half, you have to be going at an 11:27 minute pace.<br><br>
If your group is planning on doing 5 miles in 55 minutes that's an 11 minute pace!<br><br>
It doesn't really sound like you and your group are of similar paces. I typically run easy at an 11:30 min pace and I can feel a big difference when I'm doing an 11 min pace. It is possible that you will acclimate to their pace if they actually stay at a consistent 11:30 pace, but 11 minute miles sound way too fast for you right now.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yup, pushing the pace in long runs increases your risk of injury. By how much is a matter of some debate. Particularly as you ramp up the mileage, most people think you should be going slower than goal pace.<br><br>
Running in a group can be a big help, but in this case I wonder if it's worth it. I wonder if there is another place you could try out.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have already paid for the group training, so I'm sticking it out.<br><br>
But, I will talk to my coach about my pacing issues. There were a few others who seemed to have similar problems in the group, so perhaps we'll kind of form our own subgroup. I may actually say something as our group gets ready to start about going a touch slower, and if anyone wants to join me, etc...<br><br>
I'm glad to hear that I'm not just being a wimp. I was surprised at how crappy I felt at the end.<br><br>
I'm also working on a better eating plan before running. Our group runs start at 8:00 am, and a half a banana was not enough. That's what I eat before I run at 5:00 (if I eat anything), but apparently I need a little more by 8:00!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I would suggest you stick to a pace you are comfortable with. If it's 12 min, then that's what it is. Don't try to run too fast, particularly if you are not used to longer runs. And don't be afraid to gallowalk, but if you do you should start right at the beginning of the run and now wait until you're almost done.<br><br>
At peak training you should be capable of running for 2 hrs, which for you would be a long run of 10 miles. Just keep slowly increasing the distance each week and you'll get there.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My theory on long runs is that they should be at whatever pace you feel happiest at running them, they are there to test your stamina not your speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts