Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 100 grams or more

Votes: 1 25.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another board, a lady runner mentioned she tries to get 1 gram of protein for each pound she weighs (where she got that from I don't know). For me, that would be 142 grams per day, which I think is a dangerously high level. I'm a low mileage runner (about 15-18 mpw) who is temporarily sidelined. I cross train and strength train. My intake is usually 50-80 grams per day. What is your intake per day? How much do you workout and what do you do?

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
that would be if you were a body builder. I think you want to aim for 1/2 gram per pound, but i could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
I think your friend might be confusing a guideline of grams per <b>kilogram</b> of body weight?<br><br>
One article I read said:<br><br>

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
Here is a protein calculator that takes into account your height, frame, gender and activity level.<br><br><a href="http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp" target="_blank">http://www.healthcalculators.org/cal...rs/protein.asp</a>

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Actually, even endurance runners should be getting a gram of protein per pound of body weight, with the day before a long run a bit higher in carbs. But, since you are not running endurance, a general guideline is .06 - .08g/lb.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Becca's right. Protein's not just for bodybuilders. Endurance athletes need it to speed repair of tissues after workouts as well as for fuel.<br><br>
As far as the 1 g/lb, I've seen a range of recommendations depending on the athlete's age and activities.<br><br>
Here's a good (but old, has anyone seen anything more recent?) article by sports nutritionist Nancy Clark:<br><a href="http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/04_96/protein.htm" target="_blank">http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/...96/protein.htm</a>

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yup, 200gm/day for me.<br><br>
On normal days I have to push in some nearly pure protein sources like chicken breasts, tuna, or whatever to make that up. During a pre-race carb load I pretty much ignore protein: even if there is only 1gm/serving, since I have to eat a metric assload of servings to get the carbs in, the protein takes care of itself.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't want to overdo it and wreak havoc on my kidneys, but I want to get enough to keep me healthy, especially with being over 40 (43)

·
Premium Member
9,098 Posts
I just went back and looked at my past fitday (I haven't logged my food for a month). I was eating an average of 66 grams/day. That's on a vegetarian diet, with very little dairy or egg products.

·
Premium Member
16,290 Posts
i looked back at my fitday and average 85-100 g/day on a vegetarian diet without milk and eggs.

·
Registered
12,636 Posts
Wow, I must have been doing something wrong then, I don't think I was getting nearly that much, or it didn't feel like it if I was.

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
There really is no scientific evidence that huge amounts of protein benefit muscle growth and body repair. (In excess of 2 g/ kg)<br><br>
Sedentary individuals should aim for .8 g per kilogram of body weight...<br>
Endurance athletes, 1.2 to 1.4 g protein / kg of body weight<br>
Body builders, 1.4 to 1.8 grams of protein per kilogram<br><br><br>
1 kg is about 2.2 lb... so that is about...<br><br>
Correct my math if I'm wrong, kinda did this all quick like...<br>
.4 g per lb in sedentary<br>
.55 - .63 g per lb in endurance athletes<br>
.63 - .81 g per lb in body builders<br>
In excess of .9 g per lb has no shown benefit for any population and may be dangerous. (Excess protein can leach calcium and also cause dehydration) The ones who should get closest to this are teenage athletes.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts
Did any of you see the interview with Bernard Lagat after he won the 5000m World Championship?<br><br>
He went to Outback Steak House [in Osaka!!] the night before and had a bigasssss steak for his pre-race meal.<br><br>
Mmmmmmm, protein!<br><br>
I don't count how many daily grams of protein that I eat; only that I have some form of protein with every snack and meal IF POSSIBLE.<br>
I make sure to eat a variety of sources, otherwise I'd skip it altogether and live on bread and cereal!!!<br><br>
I'm a carbaholic.....just like the stereotype:<br>
women eat too many carbs, while men eat too much protein.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts