2 handfuls button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced<br>
1/2 c green peas<br>
4 cloves garlic<br>
3 leeks, green tops removed, rinsed, and sliced<br>
2 t dried thyme<br>
salt and pepper<br>
butter<br>
1/3 c heavy cream<br><br>
saute the garlic in 2 T butter. when translucent, add the chicken, carrots, leeks and thyme. cook until the chicken is done, and then add the mushrooms and peas. cook until heated. add salt and pepper to taste.<br><br>
line a pie plate with crust for the bottom of the pie. fill with all of the chicken mixture (mound it if you must). place the top crust over the pie filling, and pinch the edges to seal (you may want to wet the edge of the bottom crust to ensure a good seal). using a butter knife, cut a small hole in the top of the pie (about the size of a nickle). bake in a 425o oven for 15 minutes, and then reduce the temp. to 350o. bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes.<br><br>
right before serving, heat the heavy cream in a saucepan (do not bring to the boil). pour the cream through the hole in the top crust and let sit for approx. 10 minutes.<br><br>
pie crust<br><br>
3 c unbleached flour<br>
2 t salt<br>
2 t baking powder<br>
1 egg yolk<br>
1 T vinegar<br>
2 sticks unsalted butter, coldcoldcold, cut into chunks<br><br>
mix all dry ingredients together. cut the butter into the flour with 2 knives until the mess resembles cornmeal. add the egg yolk, vinegar and then enough cold water to make a pliable dough. roll out on a floured surface.<br><br>
i make my crust in a stand mixer - makes things much easier when cooking mass quantities. dump your dry ingredients into the mixing bowl, turn the thing onto the lowest setting, and add the butter. then add the egg and liquid (again, <b>cold</b> water) until the flour mix comes together and forms a mass of dough.

·
Registered
16,043 Posts
Chicken thighs really are the underdog in the world of chicken parts.<br><br>
They're so moist and flavorful! Damn snooty chicken breasts get all the attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts