Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone has used it and can help me figure things out.<br><br>
Had my first run with it today.<br>
Surprised when I first put it on and it was reading my heart rate ~80 bpm. My sitting heart rate is around 62 bpm, manually measured by me and the doctor.<br><br>
Did 7.2 miles, hilly course-- but a course I do regularly.<br>
During the first mile, I had to stop repeatedly because my strap kept coming loose and various problems with the watch I had to fix. Cleared that out.<br><br>
The final 10K--- felt very easy. Sweated, but not much... was at no point breathing hard or unable to carry on a conversation. Ran very slow, recovery pace. It was at least as slow as 11:55 per mile, finished not feeling tired but out of time to keep going.<br><br>
Pulled up my heart rate summary...<br><br>
Average: 149 bpm<br>
High: 197 bpm<br><br>
I really, really don't believe that can be right. This was a very, very easy run.<br><br>
What's the issue?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The 200 can be a little glitchy when it comes to HRM, but, with a little time you'll be able to figure it out.<br><br>
Were the contacts on the strap wet? It makes a difference that you start out that way. Some even use a gel and claim great results. I use warm water and it typically worked pretty well. I've heard some use salt water... the theory being salt is a good conductor.<br><br>
They will also get clogged so keep them clean. A lot of folks recommend a little chlorine water for cleaning.<br><br>
I get readings like that every now and then but I've figured out it's typically a contact issue or lack thereof that causes it. Once you get used to what typical readings are, once you see those numbers pop up, you'll know they are off, but you'll also know by experience what the numbers should be.<br><br>
Did you get the footpod?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Did you take it back?<br><br>
I bought a hrm ages ago and had a similar problem, average HR of about 200!<br>
Made me feel all depressed, I don't use it that much now. I'd be curious if you find the reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts