Runners Forum - Kick Runners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since last weeks Boilermaker I've had very tight calves and the bottoms of both feet have been sore around the heel and arch area. I recall telling the DW right after the race that the bottoms of both my feet hurt. I did some quick research and self diagnosed myself with mild PF.<br><br>
I've added additional stretching, picked up a can of frozen OJ, popped vitamin I, and I'm off to Fleet Feet today to check out additional support options for my high arch.<br><br>
I have not made a doctors appointment yet. Anything else I should be doing short of not running completely? Any secret stretches or anything that I could be doing at while sitting at my desk for eight hours a day?<br><br>
This injury scares me from the horror stories I've heard from other people. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
You're doing lots of good stuff -- keep at it. Make sure to stretch the hamstrings and lower back, too. Icing post-run can help with discomfort, and wear decent shoes all the time -- no going barefoot or in flip-flops.<br><br>
Maybe have some massages with focus on the calves and feet. When I was in PT for acute PF, the cross-friction massage HURT but it really helped break up all the adhesions and knots.<br><br>
Others swear by ART for PF.<br><br>
I sure hope you can avoid a full-blown case.

·
Registered
730 Posts
this is my tried and true PF cure...<br><br>
wear this all day, <a href="http://www.archaid.net" target="_blank">www.archaid.net</a><br>
and this all night, <a href="http://www.thesock.com" target="_blank">www.thesock.com</a><br><br>
...it's worked for prolly a dozen runners I've recommended it to. This ended my injure/reinjure cycle of PF I had about six years ago, and when I get the occasional twinge, a couple days back in this routine and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Put shoes by your bed and get right into them. Your 1st 20 steps in the AM in bare feet can wreck all the day's healing.<br><br>
Also, take 3 minutes while still in bed before getting up, roll your feet around, reach down and massage your calves a little bit, get things warmed up and loose.

·
Registered
11,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All!!!<br><br>
Hippo - I started wearing an old (but not completely spent) pair of running shoes around the house a couple of weeks ago, even before this flare up. My feet have thanked me ever since.<br><br>
I was going to do the massage before getting out of bed this AM but we lost power last night and I got up all paniced and took a couple of steps before I remembered - massage!!!<br><br>
Miss M - Using a tennis ball. It is...uncomfortable. But does feel good when its done.<br><br>
SGH - tossed all flip flops a couple of weeks ago after my Mom showed me a report on the evils of the unsupported sandal.<br><br>
jrjo - checked out the Sock last night. That will be the next phase if stretching and massage don't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts